Discuss Going Limited? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

Is anybody Limited and how much more work is it compared to sole trader status? Trying to get my head round it for a switch in the summer, anything particular worth noting?

One thing I can't find an answer for on the internet which maybe somebody can shed some light on.

I get CIS deducted payments to me at present from contractors. If I go Ltd does this mean the company will just get paid Gross? I would have other self employed subcontractor wages to pay out from this, I presume these would need to be done as CIS?

Cheers

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Speak to an accountant because the timing with regards to your existing business takings at various points of the year will stipulate when it is most tax efficient to go Limited.

You can effectively gain some tax relief depending on the timing. So make sure you speak to a couple of different accountants and let them see your takings for the past year or something.

That aside, you'd end up paying corporation tax and doing your self assessment. So there's a bit more work involved. I'd let the accountants do the lot personally, you just do the bookkeeping to make it easy (therefore cheaper) for the accountant.

Some say its a pain in the arse. I say if it's more tax efficient and you earn more doing it, do it. It's a no-brainer.

I'm not clued up with CIS so let the lads or an accountant advise you there too.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Another thing.

Your business has a value. So you can gain some tax relief by selling the business to the newly-formed company. There's a correct way to go about that, but that's worth looking into. And will also be more valuable at a certain point in the year because the last few years takings get taken into account so if your business works out more valuable in 6 months time, because March & April 3 years ago you didn't turn over much, but 2.5 years ago from now you did, and the next 6 months are going to be good, then it's best to wait a 6 months so your valuation of the business is slightly higher, sort of thing.

If that makes any sense.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Going Limited? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
In addition to good credit control to get payments from Contractors, it is now essential that...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
A
So it seems to me that this country and its government are just out to screw over the small...
Replies
Views
AMtek
A
E
I receive this i-mail for one job: Work Friday-Monday Eduardo, Work for tomorrow...
Replies
Views
M
Hi All The van I bought to start my business up 2 years ago (an old vauxhall combo) is...
Replies
Views
Matthew77
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB