UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Granite adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

Ian, in principle you can use any cementious adhesive for those tiles on that substrate.

However, if I were you, I would go for the best adhesive you can afford, which should mean a flexible, enhanced cementious adhesive, capable of having a thick bed.

Of the Mapei range Keraflex Maxi S1 (grey) would be ideal, as it can take a bed thickness up to 15mm. Depending on how flat your floor is, and how tight the tolerances of the tiles are in terms of thickness, you may need to build up the bed in places.

If you need fast setting then Keraquick, but that can only go up to 10mm thick.

M

Mike Mike

Keraquick is 6 mm bed depth and 10 mm in located areas.

Make sure the floor is flat and use mapeker adhesive , cheaper than keraquick and still a c2ft.

http://www.mapei.com/public/GB/products/103_Keraquick_UK.PDF
10mm according to the people who manufacture it...

As stated in response to someone who asked what's the difference between Mapeker and Keraquick, Mapeker has a 50% shorter working time and has 33% lower tensile strength after 28 days.

Keraflex Maxi S1 costs no more (seen it for £17), has the longest working time, and the highest tensile strength. That's what I'd use, but we're not all the same, and it's good that a forum like this exists where people can openly hold differing views without fear of reprisal (You're wrong by the way :prrr:).

M

Mike Mike

keraflex maxi s1 is referred to being suitable to natural stone thats moisture stable? this meaning? also is it suited to granite?

thanks ian

Ian, all of Mapei''s adhesives say "moisture stable natural stone" except for the twice the price Granirapid...

I have black granite on my kitchen walls and grey granite on my wetroom floor and walls. I used a bog standard C1 in the kitchen and a C2 flexible in the wetroom (not Mapei as it wasn't available where I live).

All the of the Mapei products we've been discussing are superior to what I used in my own home, and in five years I have had precisely....zero problems.

I've used Keraquick for granite many times when I lived in the U.K. and never had a problem.

You can use any of those Mapei products we've been discussing. Or you can phone Mapei's Technical Dept and ask them why you need Granirapid.

Or you can buy Stonefix Rapid Set Flexible Grey adhesive as an alternative, because their product range is less confusing: "fixes stone, ALL stone, comes in white or grey". :lol:

(Oh, and yes, I've used Stonefix dozens of times where specifiers have supplied the materials and that works perfectly well on travertine, slate and granite too).

All the best,

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Granite adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.