Discuss granite floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

T

tile55

The tiles will have been laid edge to edge in the tile shop because it looks very impressive. They are looking to sell the product after all. They should have advised you better though!

:mad2:This reminds me of a job I did a few years ago. The client was adamant that he wanted no joints in the tiling (20x20 porcelain tiles), because the shop had them laid out like that.
I explained the reasons that this wasn't the correct way to tile, and refused to do the tiling unless I was allowed to put a space between the tiles.
He settled for a 1mm gap in the end, and with the rectified edges it was about 3mm when it was finished.

The tile shops could do us a big favour by having the proper set-up when displaying tiles and having a good amount of information to hand.

Although a lot of porcealin tiles have rectified/mitred edges, they still need a gap to put the grout into. Also it's good practice to use a SPF grout or a 2 part flexi grout as this bonds to the tiles and allows for a certain degree of movement.

T

TilingLogistics

hi, can any one help, I have laid granite floor tiles with a beveled edge in my bathroom they look good but i do not know with what to grout them
with. i tried floor tile grout but because the tiles have a polished finish this grout came out. i would be grateful for any help.

thanks.

Morgan.

Are you sure you have bevelled granite or is it rectified edging? I am sorry to tell you but it is almost an odds on certainty that those tiles will fail if you have laid granite edge to edge on a flexible floor. The only chance you have is to use an epoxy resin to grout but really and truthfully the correct answer is to "Bite the Bullet" and take them all up and relay them correctly:thumbsup:

Kev

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to granite floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB