Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Granite tiles on uneven concrete with bitumen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi all,
This is my first time laying floor tiles and I've got a few questions.
I'm looking to tile the floor of a downstairs loo (about 1m x 1.5m). So far I've bought the tiles which are about 30cm square granite and I've removed the old Marley tiles.
The floor is concrete screed with the adhesive from the marley tiles well attached to it. I've tried removing some of this with a scraper and heat gun etc. It's stuck down well. The floor is also a bit uneven - it's higher on the edges and drops about 6mm from the walls to the center of the room. I don't know how to proceed - should I put down a SLC on the floor first or is it OK to take up that amount of unevenness with the adhesive? In either case, I'm not sure which products I should be using - would Screwfix 47264 be OK as a SLC?
Could someone please suggest what to do and the appropriate products. If I can get them from Screwfix or Topps then that would be great as they're very local.
Also, is it better to line up the tiles with the end of the loo pan or the centre of the room? The centre of the room would mean I can cover the width of the floor in three (nearly) whole tiles. If I line them up with the loo though (either on the edge or half a tile width across) then I can't avoid having a line of small tiles on one side or the other.
Many thanks,
Gareth

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Gareth, you can prime the floor using an epoxy primer over the bitumen residue as long as you have got rid of any loose stuff. You can then either use an SLC to flatten up the floor or alternaltively use a thick bed adhesive straight down though this may be a bit harder to work with as you are not experienced in tiling.

Why don't you register on here (it's free) and you will probably end up with many more responses and hence solutions to your question.

Reply to Granite tiles on uneven concrete with bitumen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Granite tiles on uneven concrete with bitumen
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.