Discuss Grout advice for tumbled noce travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dr Benway

Greetings all, :wave2:

Thanks for all the advice here. :hurray:

I have some 100x100 tumbled noce travertine tiles. I've read/researched the forum but still have some questions please.

what colour grout for Noce?

Is it okay to lay these over existing ceramic tile [that's on a concrete pad]-- if so what prep is necessary, what adhesive etc. its for very light foot traffic.

the tiles are pretty dusty [chalky on the fingers after handling]. Is it best to get them dust free first? can you power wash/karcher them? :yikes: -- obviously not indoors...:lol:

any advice/help much appreciated

thanks!

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Doc.

Limestone is a good colour for Noce travertine or Mapei do a great range of colours including 132 Beige. (Careful which Limestone grout you choose - some dry patchy IMO).
These 100x100mm tiles often look good with a wider joint, however the impervious surface you intend to fix them on will mean you have a longer time delay before the water in the adhesive can escape, and if grouted before the drying process is complete the trapped water can cause efflorescence
Tiling ontop of existing tiles has its advantages if they are well fixed and cleaned! It does put more demand on the adhesive and as well as going for a lighter colour,ensuring you have a solid bed of adhesive (to maximize strength of the bond) this impervious surface will require a highly polymer modified adhesive to achieve this strong chemical bond thus overcoming the need for mechanical keying.
Make sure the tiles are clean and completely dry at all stages before you apply any seal.
Finally - take 2 asprins and enjoy!

D

Dr Benway

thanks all, for the replies. :thumbsup:

the existing tiles are well fixed in-- the main reason I dont want to lift them as I feel I will damage the surface below, which will then need levelling.

should I also abrade the existing tile? they are quite small about 25mm x 50mm

can you please recommend an adhesive-- after reading the forums I was going to use Mapei keraquick white? should I mix it with SBR [which I already have] for extra adhesion?

The Noce isnt that dark and I intend to seal it with LTP mattstone-- so as for the grout,

do Mapei do limestone>-- I can't find it.

How beige is mapei beige? is it like a just off white, beige?

Wickes do a sandstone powdered grout -- but who makes Wickes grout? :yikes:

Thanks very much

D

doug boardley

thanks all, for the replies. :thumbsup:

the existing tiles are well fixed in-- the main reason I dont want to lift them as I feel I will damage the surface below, which will then need levelling.

should I also abrade the existing tile? they are quite small about 25mm x 50mm

can you please recommend an adhesive-- after reading the forums I was going to use Mapei keraquick white? should I mix it with SBR [which I already have] for extra adhesion?

The Noce isnt that dark and I intend to seal it with LTP mattstone-- so as for the grout,

do Mapei do limestone>-- I can't find it.

How beige is mapei beige? is it like a just off white, beige?

Wickes do a sandstone powdered grout -- but who makes Wickes grout? :yikes:

Thanks very much
you can abrade the tiles doc, it will help to key the adhesive, with keraquick don't add sbr, I'd be inclined to get the latex plus to bump it up to a S2 adhesive tho':thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi Doc - Try some of your mattstone on the Noce travertine as a test and see how dark they become before your final grout choice!
Me - I like 132 Mapei Beige with Jura Stone/Noce travertine. Sandstone would be too orange, although I have not used Wickes products.
The small mosaic you are tiling over 25x50mm, if well fixed, would provide an adequate keying surface for tiling over.
Adhesive manufacturer is down to availability in your area but a highly polymer modified adhesive such as Webber Stoneset flexible SP or from the Mapei range.
Opinions on sealing tiles will vary at what stage - but to grout before sealing will make it harder to remove from the face, and to seal first may affect the grab of the grout into the pores. I seal then grout but try and keep it to the surface - not the holes.
Come and see me in a week!

D

Dr Benway

thanks again, all, for the replies

so now I'm a bit confused :lol:

will keraquick white be suitable?

I will do some tests with the sealer. However I thought the LTP matt stone /lithofin type products didn't change the colour? vs the colour enhancers. The "dry" look colour is the finished colour wanted

also, it has now been suggested that a white travertine border [one tile width] would look nice. [it does]

do I grout the white the same colour as the noce?

its at about this time that the old tiles are really looking just fine... :lol::lol:

thanks very much

T

Time's Ran Out

Re: advice for tumbled noce travertine

Good afternoon Dr Benway.
Keraquick or Keraflex will be suitable both in White.
If the tiles are dusty at the present time and you are intending to wipe them with a clean damp sponge, that should be done and then allowed to dry before the sealer is used. The LTP Mattstone will not intensify the colour it will only bring out the natural colour/variation in the Noce travertine which is its endearing feature. This will then provide you with your finished range of colours which you can compare to the vast array of tones available through the Mapei colour chart. Whichever colour grout to finally decide upon IMO I'd keep for all the flooring including a border of White travertine.
Reading behind the prescrition I'd agree that the original floor has its advantages!:smilewinkgrin: but as with all medicines the results can be beneficial to a happy future.
No doubt after these posts I'll find that you're a Dr of Theology. Amen.

Reply to Grout advice for tumbled noce travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout advice for tumbled noce travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.