UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Grout has dried in different shades in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alan0259

Help!

I've laid some rectangular porcelain tiles in my kitchen on a concrete floor, when I came to grout it I used some Evostik from Homebase (which I'm now regretting), the shade came out as expected but the odd patch was darker and the grout wasn't level with the tiles, and the odd bit had air bubbles in it.

So I thought I would go over it all again, now it has come out a completely different shade, the mix was the same (3.5 to 1 ratio) but looks like I might have done different drying times.

So now I'm stuck with a good grout level but wrong colour, will I have to scrape it all out and start again with some decent grout or can you get anything to change its colour?

Thanks

Depending on what colour the grout is you may have to apply 2 coats.Just use an artists brush just wide enough for the joint.
Depending on the temp. allow the colourant to dry in the joint, then apply a wet sponge or ideally use a spray bottle to apply a light mist over the tile and joint.Then leave to soak for about 5 to 10 minutes. then use a semi dry sponge or rag to wipe away any excess from the tile. It will be trial and error at the beginning so just do a small area at first then once you have it sorted then carry on with the rest.
Hope thats helpful, done a few recolour jobs and the aquamix product is really good but take your time with it.
If the colourant is a bit damp when you start to clean off, then you may wipe it out of the joint. If this happens you must allow the joint to dry thoroughly before you redo.
:thumbsup:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Hmmm might just have to go for the Mapei one, I can get the Aquamix off eBay but is £23!

Anyone used the Mapei stuff?

Bike is a 1998 CBR 600 F3, what you got? lol

114.jpg speed triple.....:thumbsup:

sorry havnt used the mapei one..

Last edited:
A

alan0259

Cool let us know what "you" think, I am sure you will not be disappointed .

Best not be for £25! lol.

Delivery was excellent.

How long you think it will take to do this on a medium sized kitchen floor? (2 ft x 1ft tiles in brick effect).

Any tips for application? i was thinking of scrubbing it in with a toothbrush.

I plan on doing this in the next week or so, got a joiner and plumber coming to finish some bits off so might as well let them make their mess first.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout has dried in different shades in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Grout has dried in different shades
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.