Discuss Grout in shower - falling out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Skid Solo

Hi,

I have a problem with the grout in a ensuite shower.

The shower has not been used for a while (couple of months) as the whole heating hot water system has recently been replaced. Now that we are re-using the shower the grout between the tiles has started ‘popping’ out i.e. when we have a shower we find lengths of grout (around 2” long) sitting in the bottom of he shower tray and I can see where the grout has come out from between the tiles on one wall.

During the recent installation there was a leak from a pipe in the loft (existing joint was not up to main’s pressure) which was fixed however the wall behind these tiles (cavity plasterboard) got wet and the wallpaper on the other side has blistered in places.

The whole ensuite is to be replaced in a coupe of years (just cant afford at the moment having just had whole new heating and hot water system) and I quite expect to have to replace the plasterboard during this exercise prior to re-tiling, however I don’t want water from the shower going elsewhere in the house until this refurbishment is complete

Can you therefore suggest an interim fix to last a coupe of years ? my thoughts were :
  • Just re-grout where the grout has come out (not sure this will help that much and may be an ongoing activity until I refurbish)
  • Scrape out old grout and replace with new (lot more work and should I give the wall behind some time to dry ? should I remove a tile to see what is actually going on behind ?)

Obviously open to other solutions, would silicone be better than grout as a repair?

Your thoughts appreciated

Thanks

D

Deleted member 9966

hi there

as you've pointed out, a refurbish would obviously be the best option, but cash flow is hindering this. I was in a similar situation with my en-suite shower cubicle last year, although we weren't losing grout, water was seeping behind the tiles and ruining the plasterboards behind.

we tried to interim fix by pulling off all the loose tiles and regrouting but this only lasted a year and eventually the tiles came loose again. in the end for us, it was just the grout holding the tiles up.

you may find that if you start taking grout out of joints, the tiles may start to come away too. it's a delicate decision. if you've got no choice but to re-grout, then do the whole lot. don't try to patch where grout has come out in parts. best to use brand new grout in clean joints. be prepared to have to re-fix tiles to the walls too, and be prepared that you may have to take the decision to decommission the en-suite if water is seeping into the walls behind the tiles.

silicone instead of grout wouldn't really work as again, you need to have nice clean joints and silicone isn't really designed to fill grout joints.

it's not going to be an easy process so just do a little at a time.

S

Skid Solo

Eventually I will remove and replace with waterproof membrane, but really just looking for a short term solution.

The ensuite is quite large and needs total replace including full suite (very large spa bath, double shower cubicle, twin sinks, toilet) tiles, wall and floor and radiator. This may also involve some moving around for the shower. So I am loathed to do to much to fix just to last a couple of years i.e. tanking and new tiles (doubt I could get anything to match the tiles in there anyway)

I will strip out some of the grout over the weekend and hopefully find a loose tile to remove and see what its like behind, we will also stop using that shower until I have completed inspection and remedial work

Thanks for your advice

Reply to Grout in shower - falling out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout in shower - falling out
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks