Discuss Grout Issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonfog

Firstly happy new year to everyone.

I tiled a bathroom floor about 6 months ago and have had to repeatedly regrout it as the grout keeps cracking and coming loose. I was wondering if anyone could advise me why this is and how it can be remedied please?

I ply lined and primed the floor prior to tiling. I then used Johnson's one part flexi adhesive and Johnson's wide joint grout?

Thanks in advance.

A

Alberta Stone

6 inches is what I typically place the screws at and I will tighten that to 4 in places that need it.
But the floor is made up of more than the secondary sheathing board.
Foundation/main beams, Joists, crossbracing, primary deck are all vitally important to a good tile job.

It isn't just enough to throw down some ply or backer and then tile away.

On several occasions I have had to open up ceiling in basement and install I-beam support and additional teleposts to support the weight of stone being installed, and have had to many times make adjustments to the main beams of the house prior to installing anything.
Sometimes this means cutting up the primary deck to expose floor joists, maybe replacing joists that are warped (excessive crowning or put in upside down), installing crossbracing or even adding additional joists.
Typically this is not needed for the majority of jobs, but each job is uniquely its own and has elements that have to be assessed before just tossing down the tiles to ensure longevity and a quality job.

J

jonfog

Ok the floor was solid there was an area of spring on the weyroc prior to overlaying it with ply. I screwed this at very tight intervals. I then overlayed with the ply and added extra screws in that area. I felt the floor was solid and wouldn't cause me any deflection issues. I then used Johnson's wide joint grout. I've just looked through my invoices this wasn't a flexi grout, would the use of a flexi grout solve the problem? The tiles are just a bog standard ceramic floor tile.

Reply to Grout Issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Help! New DIYer here - I’m preparing my bathroom floor to lay ceramic tile. Removed the vinyl...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout Issue
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.