Discuss Grout on carpet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I would try wetting it thoroughly with white vinegar, neat - leaving it to soak in a bit and the dabbing it with white kitchen roll. If the black comes off onto the kitchen roll you are on a winner, so just keep on repeating - remember vinegar is used as grout haze remover, and you may just be lucky enough that the dies are locked in with the cement particles.

If this does not work, dilute the vinegar in the carpet with water and keep dabbing and soaking up, don't rub, as the fibres will become all felty, and won't recover later. I would then use plain household soap, wetted and dubbed on, again leaving it to soak and do the kitchen roll check. DON'T try the household soap before the vinegar, as soap residue would neutralise the vinegar, but you're ok the other way round. By now there should be some progress. I f not the other options are ammonia based window cleaner - (ammonia can have a bleaching effect, so take care!), nail varnish remover or cellulose thinners. Good luck, let us know the outcome! My bet is on the vinegar finished off with the soap ... :thumbsup:

C

Ceramico tiling

I would try wetting it thoroughly with white vinegar, neat - leaving it to soak in a bit and the dabbing it with white kitchen roll. If the black comes off onto the kitchen roll you are on a winner, so just keep on repeating - remember vinegar is used as grout haze remover, and you may just be lucky enough that the dies are locked in with the cement particles.

If this does not work, dilute the vinegar in the carpet with water and keep dabbing and soaking up, don't rub, as the fibres will become all felty, and won't recover later. I would then use plain household soap, wetted and dubbed on, again leaving it to soak and do the kitchen roll check. DON'T try the household soap before the vinegar, as soap residue would neutralise the vinegar, but you're ok the other way round. By now there should be some progress. I f not the other options are ammonia based window cleaner - (ammonia can have a bleaching effect, so take care!), nail varnish remover or cellulose thinners. Good luck, let us know the outcome! My bet is on the vinegar finished off with the soap ... :thumbsup:

Thanks,, I just coppied and saved that for future use.

U

user123

ooooooow.... not something i have tried to remove before.. might be easier once dry but i think the pigments might have stained the wool.

That reminds me - try and find out what material the carpet actually is - the percentage of polypropylene or acrilyc to wool, etc. The tips I gave above whould work with all of them, the more artificial fibre there is the easer it will come out. Cellulose thinners removed black enamel paint from my almost new 50% wool carpet, so take heart.. :thumbsup:

U

user123

I dont think you should be trying anything, if it was your carpet fair enough but as its a customers, if it were me i'd just get a pro in to sort it, its ok trying various household remedys that may or may not work, but if they dont work, by trying them your more likley to spoil any chance a pro cleaner has of rectifying it.

Good point, Oli :thumbsup: But to be somewhat reassuring - I did an apprenticeship in London once how to repair antique oriental carpets, and learned a lot of traditional tricks of the trade there, which are now household remedies yes, but based on historical experience :) By the way, pure wool carpet does not burn, it just singes and smells like burning hair ...

Reply to Grout on carpet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout on carpet
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.