Discuss Grout on carpet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JLM Tiling

Right. To answer all the above, yes Nybor I have £5mill of cover but would rather not claim, I know that's what it's there for but you know how it is.

Oli good advice and yeah you've got a point but too late already done it.

Mosiac Girl, well what can I say, you're my hero and I love you and I want you to have my babies!! Worked a treat, can't see a thing anymore!!

Finally to all of you who have commented thanks for taking the time to offer your advice, us newbs would be lost without you.

And for anyone who wants a laugh the customer got home about half an hour ago and said to me 'oh you needn't have bothered hoovering the carpet, we're getting it ripped up next week anyway' Yeah. Coulda told me. Still at least I learned something!! Peace y'all!

Somerset
I would try wetting it thoroughly with white vinegar, neat - leaving it to soak in a bit and the dabbing it with white kitchen roll. If the black comes off onto the kitchen roll you are on a winner, so just keep on repeating - remember vinegar is used as grout haze remover, and you may just be lucky enough that the dies are locked in with the cement particles.

If this does not work, dilute the vinegar in the carpet with water and keep dabbing and soaking up, don't rub, as the fibres will become all felty, and won't recover later. I would then use plain household soap, wetted and dubbed on, again leaving it to soak and do the kitchen roll check. DON'T try the household soap before the vinegar, as soap residue would neutralise the vinegar, but you're ok the other way round. By now there should be some progress. I f not the other options are ammonia based window cleaner - (ammonia can have a bleaching effect, so take care!), nail varnish remover or cellulose thinners. Good luck, let us know the outcome! My bet is on the vinegar finished off with the soap ... :thumbsup:

My wife confirms (and she is right about everything) that this advice is spot on - its especially important to not rub - dab only.

U

user123

Right. To answer all the above, yes Nybor I have £5mill of cover but would rather not claim, I know that's what it's there for but you know how it is.

Oli good advice and yeah you've got a point but too late already done it.

Mosiac Girl, well what can I say, you're my hero and I love you and I want you to have my babies!! Worked a treat, can't see a thing anymore!!

Finally to all of you who have commented thanks for taking the time to offer your advice, us newbs would be lost without you.

And for anyone who wants a laugh the customer got home about half an hour ago and said to me 'oh you needn't have bothered hoovering the carpet, we're getting it ripped up next week anyway' Yeah. Coulda told me. Still at least I learned something!! Peace y'all!

:hurray: oh wow great! not so much the babies bit, but thanks all the same...:lol: so was it just the vinegar then? Tell tell! :) even though it'll get ripped up!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JLM Tiling

No seriously, take them, packed the bags already. You seem like an excellent mother figure and quite frankly I'm sick to death of them.

Hoovered as much as I could out and then vinegar. Over and over again. Seemed okay up close but was still noticeable from a distance. So went in with water, soak then soaped it up and dabbed it off. Did that a couple of times. Then rinsed with more water. By that point was looking pretty good, still could see it but think that was more dampness than staining. Then hoovered the whole stairs and finished cleaning up. By the time the customer got back it was hardly noticeable at all, in fact when looking I wasn't convinced I was even looking at the right step! So kudos to you and thanks again!!

U

user123

No seriously, take them, packed the bags already. You seem like an excellent mother figure and quite frankly I'm sick to death of them.

Hoovered as much as I could out and then vinegar. Over and over again. Seemed okay up close but was still noticeable from a distance. So went in with water, soak then soaped it up and dabbed it off. Did that a couple of times. Then rinsed with more water. By that point was looking pretty good, still could see it but think that was more dampness than staining. Then hoovered the whole stairs and finished cleaning up. By the time the customer got back it was hardly noticeable at all, in fact when looking I wasn't convinced I was even looking at the right step! So kudos to you and thanks again!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

S

Stewart

Worried me now, I am starting a bathroom next week and they are having black polished porcelain tiles and have asked for the blackest grout I can get (Mapei). Stairs and landing cream carpet. Will now look for the sticky stuff that can be left on the carpet till the job is done. Has any body any idea where I can get this? Will be using drop cloths as well.

Pretty sure Trade Tiler do it.

Reply to Grout on carpet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout on carpet
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.