Discuss Grout or Silly-Cone in Corners...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

This is what we did...

Siliconed BEFORE grouting. All corners of room. All joints. Allowed to dry. Then grouted a week later.

Why a week later? Our tiler told me the adhesive needs to breath to go off. Air has to get to it and if you grout then its an airtight seal for still wet addy.

31.JPG

Check out (above) the corner of the room. What you can see are un-grouted large format porcelain tiles.

With a bead of silicone already in place.

Also those holes have been drilled into the tiles to bring through electrical cable for a shaver socket and a cabinet light.

The tiles are being allowed to air dry for a week.

41.jpg

(As above - but with a bored wife waiting for her bathroom!)

41b.jpg

Roll on seven years to today and the sink and cabinet are fitted.
The grout went in. And the wife was a bit happier !

59.JPG

** Here comes the advert bit !!
Oh and the holes for the cables (closeup above) were drilled with a 30mm diamond core tile drill
specifically designed for drilling very hard porcelain tiles with the PORSADRILL
all in one tile drill kit for bathrooms.

One last point. Because the tiles were neutral, the grout was an off white so we used IVORY silicone - not white.

That way we could get into the tiles and it didnt look glaringly obvious to be silicone. It just blended with the grout.

silicone.jpg

Ivory silicone let us blend in with grout !

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aph257

This is what we did...

Siliconed BEFORE grouting. All corners of room. All joints. Allowed to dry. Then grouted a week later.

Why a week later? Our tiler told me the adhesive needs to breath to go off. Air has to get to it and if you grout then its an airtight seal for still wet addy.

31.JPG

Check out (above) the corner of the room. What you can see are un-grouted large format porcelain tiles.

With a bead of silicone already in place.

Also those holes have been drilled into the tiles to bring through electrical cable for a shaver socket and a cabinet light.

The tiles are being allowed to air dry for a week.

41.jpg

(As above - but with a bored wife waiting for her bathroom!)

41b.jpg

Roll on seven years to today and the sink and cabinet are fitted.
The grout went in. And the wife was a bit happier !

59.JPG

** Here comes the advert bit !!
Oh and the holes for the cables (closeup above) were drilled with a 30mm diamond core tile drill
specifically designed for drilling very hard porcelain tiles with the PORSADRILL
all in one tile drill kit for bathrooms.

One last point. Because the tiles were neutral, the grout was an off white so we used IVORY silicone - not white.

That way we could get into the tiles and it didnt look glaringly obvious to be silicone. It just blended with the grout.

silicone.jpg

Ivory silicone let us blend in with grout !

for those sized tiles, i'd have used a cement based adhesive which sets chemically not by dispersion as your tiler stated. max size tile for ready mixed is 300x300, these look to be about 400x250?

D

Deleted member 1779

for those sized tiles, i'd have used a cement based adhesive which sets chemically not by dispersion as your tiler stated. max size tile for ready mixed is 300x300, these look to be about 400x250?
They are 600x300s and at the time he used BAL flexi adhesive. It was a few years ago now (7 years) and the big debate was on what the wall would take weight wise. Roll on to today and (fingers crossed) no movement. At the time I was happy to wait a week to grout - I grouted myself - Because the whole house was a work in progress and a building site. But I admit todays clients would not want to wait that length of time! !!!

How much Richard ?????

Yep - And back in the olden days we had to just get local. You see what you lucky lot in the future get with a great forum and the information super highway....

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Grout or Silly-Cone in Corners...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi all, As per the title, my tiler has grouted the internal corners of our new shower enclosure...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout or Silly-Cone in Corners...?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.