Discuss grout problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ross9807

i wrote a post a while ago about jasmine mapei grout, i was having some problems grouting.

now i'm using beige and i had the same problem of the grout drying patchy. I asked an (experienced) tiler to come and look at it, and he said it was fine.

it looks as if the grout (dust) that dries on the tiles also dries on the grout lines, but cos this is a lighter colour it then it makes look patchy.

the fella said that the customer can give that a scrub and it'll come off. but i'm a bit sceptical, it look pretty bad -unless wet.

is this normal?? can u clean it off? with what?

if anyone has any suggestions / answers of things to add, i would be well grateful!!

thanks!

R

ross9807

dont have any pics till 2moro,

nearly 100% sure i didnt wipe off too eary, ive seen how that looks.

also didnt polish with a dry cloth, but did give it a wipe over with the sponge.

it all looks fine, untill about half an hour later and then u start to see the "grout dust" appearing on the tile and also the grout.

do you think i could be giving it a laast wipe over too late?? does that effect the colour?

thanks!!

R

ross9807

That sounds like it could be the problem. when giving it that last wipe, does it muck anything up if you wipe it over too late? -in terms of colour/powder.

So ive now ruined one bathroom, what's the best way for me to put it right?
soap, sand paper??....... that other tiler said acid??? (but he also said it was ok)

any ideas??

heres some pictures of it aswell.

IMG_3647.jpg IMG_3649.jpg IMG_3648.jpg

thanks a lot for all the advice,
ive got to do the other bathroom 2moro, so i really hope that that is the problem.

P

peckers

Its like dave said now we can see the pics you are wetting down the tiles too much and the water is running down the face of the tiles bringing the grout residue with it and as it is drying then the grout residue which will be lighter then the main grout joint is drying on the surface and then it is drying out patchy!
further advice for when grouting is that on your first initial wash is too remove excess grout from face off tile then when face off tile starts too look dusty again second wash should be carried out this time cleaning face off tile and shaping grout joints as you go, then allow time for it to start to dry again and then the third wash should be just going over the joints but your sponge should only be damp not wringing wet. cleaning your sponge and changing water often. this will remove the dusty bits of grout which has settled onto your joints.

I would also reccomend that by looking at your pictures that you are not cleaning the face off the tiles enough on your previous washes and your sponge is too wet and the moisture is running down over the grout joints there for leaving the grout looking like your pics.

To try and make it better you could use a grout haze remover LTP do one they are a sponsor on this site and you will find there link on the home page to the left, you may need to aggitate the joints with the grout haze remover using a nail brush or something similiar.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Reply to grout problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Guys, I'm unsure what grout to choose for our latest project and I'm hoping you can help. We're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
grout problems
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.