Discuss Grouted epansion joints, what to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Meek

Hello,

A few months back we had some rooms plumbed and tiled - a ground floor ensuite bathroom (concrete floor, brick and stud walls) and an upstairs bathroom (floor was layed over 18mm wbp ply with flexible adhesive).

The bathroom and ensuite have both been grouted with epoxy grout, which is great BUT.. the grout has been used at every corner in the rooms and where the bath edge meets the tiles. It's also been epoxy grouted where the floor tiles meet the wall tiles and around the door architrave.

I understand this to be a massive mess up and I'm not sure what to do about it. I don't have money to rip anything apart and afaik epoxy grout is impossible to remove without damaging the tiles and probably the bath.. and the tanking would probably be annihilated too.

Any ideas on what to do? Is siliconing over the grout going to be of any benefit? How long is this likely to hold together before it starts cracking?

Thanks.

M

Meek

Thank you very much for the advice, it's reassuring to know something can be done to remedy the situation.

I don't think I want to call the original tiler back as quite honestly I'm not sure he'd want to fix his mistake. I'll try to find somebody with more experience to sort out the problem as now at least I know it's possible. Out of interest, does the epoxy need to be raked out fully for there to be an expansion gap for the silicone or can a certain amount remain? I'm concerned that with a rake the tanking tape will be ripped through.

Also, what sort of cost would I roughly be looking at to get it ammended by a decent tradesperson (I'm in the midlands, near Derby)?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouted epansion joints, what to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Grouted epansion joints, what to do?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.