UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss grouting issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I use Ultra colour all the time.. and do not have any issues... it IS!! user error.. you are washing off to early and leaving to much water in the joint... polymer leaching is very common with heavily modified grouts and until you use them properly then you will always get this shading..

Don't want to upset readers etc but IMHO it is user error when cleaning down.. but if another make works for you , then even better but you cannot simply blame a grout when the product is fine...

Just my opinion as to why some folk have issues with this grout.. not digs or cyber bullying..:):):) just how i see it.

Do you not think it is too sensitive Dave? I know lots on here rate it highly, but there do seem to be a lot of issues with it.

D

DHTiling

All i know is Bri that is is a good grout and if mixed and cleaned off as it should be then no issues here.. you have to it set up before washing off and that means letting it nearly harden, then scotch pad if necessary to loosen off the surface, but washing off too early can cause issues suffered by others.. as you leave polymer residue on still wet grout and it will not wash off as easy as a just about set grout.. if you see what i mean.. and over wetting pulls pigment..

But the best bet is , if a grout is not for you then use a make that is etc...

I

Ian

All i know is Bri that is is a good grout and if mixed and cleaned off as it should be then no issues here.. you have to it set up before washing off and that means letting it nearly harden, then scotch pad if necessary to loosen off the surface, but washing off too early can cause issues suffered by others.. as you leave polymer residue on still wet grout and it will not wash off as easy as a just about set grout.. if you see what i mean.. and over wetting pulls pigment..

But the best bet is , if a grout is not for you then use a make that is etc...

Yeah I get what your saying, I just don't like to think that something has got the better of me! Maybe i need to go on a Mapei training day, probably won't be welcome when they see all my posts about their grouts :lol: I do like the adhesives though, use them every day.

D

DHTiling

99% will be user error Dave, but they make it so hard to use, I agree with Bri its mor sensitive than my Mrs when its her time of the month!

Just not a fan of it full stop, there are better grouts out there imho.

I like it because i mainly do stone work and the super fast setting time is what i require... no picture framing and nice flush joints.... i just didn't want a grout no matter what make dissed when it isn't a prob with the product...

I think the only grout that i could not get colour uniformity with no matter what i tried was Bal wide joint limestone.. but that might have been sorted now as it is ages since i used it...

G

Gall.B

How do these people get the jobs in the first place? They surely must be vetted on previous work and be asked how they are going to repair, but then again the customer wouldn't know what was right or wrong i suppose!

Wasnt a repair John, It was originaly tiled with the harboard packers so as the mosaic sat flush with the field tile.

Guess what it they all failed, big surprise.

G

Gall.B

I like it because i mainly do stone work and the super fast setting time is what i require... no picture framing and nice flush joints.... i just didn't want a grout no matter what make dissed when it isn't a prob with the product...

I think the only grout that i could not get colour uniformity with no matter what i tried was Bal wide joint limestone.. but that might have been sorted now as it is ages since i used it...

What do you make of Weber joint pro? found it simmilar in some ways to Ultracolour but more user friendly personaly.

I like WJ flexi on most floor's and superflex on walls I like to key wall grout mostly so superflex suits me or standard bal wal grout.

I

Ian

Just one more thing then I'll shut up about this, promise. the washining off process is a little more complex than other grouts especially when a scotch pad has to be introduced, now I know this information from this forum but to someone who isn't aware of this place, how would they know? This information isn't printed on the packaging and surely, if it were, then this patchy problem may well be a thing of the past. Just a thought, my final thought of the evening.

G

Gazebo

Just one more thing then I'll shut up about this, promise. the washining off process is a little more complex than other grouts especially when a scotch pad has to be introduced, now I know this information from this forum but to someone who isn't aware of this place, how would they know? This information isn't printed on the packaging and surely, if it were, then this patchy problem may well be a thing of the past. Just a thought, my final thought of the evening.

I'm with Bri on this one, i started using ultracolour plus as I got hold of a colour sample case for the grout and a silicone sample card also, lots of my customers like this as they could select their shade or grey or cream/jasmin/vanilla etc.

I had a few issues at first with shading but after reading threads on this subject have overcome this issue, I also like it as it states you can use a shower in 48hours(or was it 24) anyway far quicker than other grouts state.

As Bri says if the manufacturers instructions were a little more in depth then this would possibly eradicate these issues and in turn make ultracolour more user friendly.

We all stipulate on hear to follow the manufacturers instructions.

p.s. I have found a decent local tiler who has tiled my last dozen or so bathrooms and he hates it.

P

Peter

Never had an issue when using Ultra Colour although it's not my first choice of grout. Been using quite a bit of Profix (Made by BAL) flexible floor grout specified by a builder lately, have the same problem with it drying patchy and pigment washing out. Problem is that it cakes on the tile and the joint is still soaking wet so not sure what the best way out of it is. It's for commercial work so not really the be all and end all but as a result, I've never used it on domestic. Anyone else used it?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to grouting issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.