UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Grouting... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

Hello all, Iv been having a dig through my old notes and came across a load of info I scribbled down many years ago on grouting. I doubt it will be much help to the old hands on here but might be to a beginner or DIYer. Bare in mind that there are loads of different methods of grouting out there and one method will not suit all grouts or tiles :thumbsup:

Grouting
Although grouting is not a particularly difficult job, it does take time, a bit of skill and some patience. Its worth the effort as a sloppy grout job can ruin the appearence of an otherwise commendable tile installation.

Readying the tiles for grouting
Remove any spacers. The manufacturers of some spacers state that they can be left in the joints and covered with grout but the thinner layer of grout above the spacers will cure a different colour, the ghosting will mar the appearance of the grout. The surface and egdes of the tiles must be clean, wash the tiles down with clean water and a clean sponge but dont over do it. Puddles of water left on the tile or in the joints will ruin the grout. Alway check directions of use with the grout manufacturer.

Mixing grout
Regular grout can be mixed either with water or with liquid additives as a replacement for water; dry-polymer grouts must be mixed with water only. Whatever liquid you use, do not add to much as to much liquid will weaken the grout (always follow proportioning ratios found on the container). The mixing bucket should be clean and if the grout is being mixed with water it should be completely clean. Mix the grout by gradually adding the grout into the liquid. Check the grouts consistency with each addition. Use a hand trowel or a power mixing paddle to mix the grout. If you use a paddle, make sure to keep it submerged to prevent air being whipped into the grout and weakening it. Keep the paddle speed low, below 300 rpm to reduce air in the mix. After the grout is mixed initially and most of the lumps have been eliminated, let the grout rest for a few minutes. This allows the dry ingredients, in perticular those in clumps, to be thoughly wetted by the liquid. Then re-stir to get the last of the lumps out.
If you are mixing several batches of grout,make sure they are all identical. Not only should the proportions of the ingredients be the same from batch to batch, but also the order in which the ingredients are combined.

Applying grout
When your ready to start grouting, dump a small pile of grout onto the tile surface. To spread the grout use a grout trowel. Hold it at an angle of about 30 degrees to the tile. Grout over the entire area you are working two or three times, not just dabbing the grout into the joints but pushing and pressing it between the tiles so that you feel resistance as each joint is packed. The idea is to cram grout into every nooks at the tiles edge. The process also forces some of the liquid out of the grout, so that the joint are as fully packed as possible with sand and cement particals- a solid rather than a slurry with suspended particals of cement and sand.

Rather than grouting an entire installation all at once, spread only a small section first, until you see how quickly the grout sets. This way, if you are working with a grout that sets fast you wont get ahead of yourself and end up with a tough cleaning job.

Removing excess grout
When all the joints are filled, hold the trowel at almost a right angle to the surface of the tile and cut the excess grout off the surface. As you do this make sure to move the trowel diagonally across the joints to prevent the tools edge from dipping into the joints and raking grout out (if this does happen, simply refill the divot with fresh grout). Once thr excess has been removed, let the grout set slightly before you start cleaning.

Cleaning and finishing grout joints
After the dry cleaning with the edge of the grout trowel, the tiles will need wet cleaning. The time grout needs to set up before this point varies from job to job.
Keep in mind that the grout residue on the surface of the tile can harden fairly quickly, whereas the grout in the joints may take considerably more time.
Wring out as much moisture from your sponge as possible and then test a small area by sponging the surface of the tile. The grout in the joints should be resillient and firm but not hard. If the grout has set up to much, the tiles will need to be scrubbed heavily, which can disfigure the joints. On the other hand if the sponge pulls grout out of the joints then the grout has not set sufficiently. Wait a few minutes and test again. When the grout in the joints is not easily disturbed, clean up can begin.
If you have left the grout to long then scrub the surface of the tiles with a Scotch-Brite pad (unlike some other scouring pads, this pad shouldnt sctrach the surface of the tiles). After scrubbing, go over the entire area with a thoroughly wrung out sponge.

Starting the clean up
You will only need a clean sponge and a clean bucket of water. Work in small sections at a time, rinsing the sponge out every other tile or so to wash out the grout particals in the sponge. When rinsing the sponge, always wring as much water out as possible, ensure that the loose grout particals are flushed from the pores of the sponge. it is how you use the sponge the will determine how well the tiles are cleaned. once you have given the entire area a wash off, change the water in the bucket for fresh clean water while the grout residue on the surface of the tile starts to dry. The first wash off removes most of the excess grout off of the face of the tile, the second wash off will remove most of the grout residue left from the first wash as well as neatening the joints. Once you have washed off the tiles a secont time (or even 3 times, depending on how well you washed the tiles) the area should be left briefly so that the grout can hrden in the joints. Then any remaining grout haze can be wiped off with a clean soft cloth.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouting... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Grouting...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.