Discuss Grouting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

adugga

Hello everyone
I am a complete novice when it comes to tiling and was looking for some advice please. I am tiling my kitchen using stone mosaics which I have managed to fix, including nicely around all the sockets. My first attempt at grouting was a bit of a disaster in that I think I left too much grout on top which took me ages to remove and then I decided I didn't like the colour so hacked it all out. Fortunately the area was quite small but I don't want to make that mistake again.
I am now going with Mapei Anthracite, can I ask:
  • it recommends mixing all in one go to ensure consistent colour. I am a bit slow at grouting so if it starts to dry in my bucket can I add more water or would I be alright just to keep going, or should I mix in batches and hope it dries the same colour? I think I probably have approx 1m x 4m of 3cm mosaics to do.
  • when I mix, should I do it by hand or can I use a powered mixer, only I read to avoid bubbles
  • I did a small test of the grout so I could see what it would look like before I did the actual job, and when mixed the grout looked like it had grit in and was rough, is this the Mapei Anthracite or did I just not mix enough?
Many thanks for any advice.

R

Rich

Is this Mapei Ultracolor plus? I dont like using it on walls as I think it is a bit to course, I would use the Keracolor FF. You should mix the grout up as instructed on the back of the bag, Ultracolor is a rapid setting grout so this is another reason I think you would be better off with the FF. Mix the grout with an elecrtic mixer on a very low speed to avoid mixing air into it. Have a look through the link below, might give you a bit more info

Grouting...

A

adugga

Is this Mapei Ultracolor plus? I dont like using it on walls as I think it is a bit to course, I would use the Keracolor FF. You should mix the grout up as instructed on the back of the bag, Ultracolor is a rapid setting grout so this is another reason I think you would be better off with the FF. Mix the grout with an elecrtic mixer on a very low speed to avoid mixing air into it. Have a look through the link below, might give you a bit more info

Grouting...

Thanks Rich, you are exactly right though it didn't occur to me, but the grout is definitely too coarse.
I have looked at the Keracolor FF and it looks just what I need. Am extremely grateful for your help and advice. The link as also very clear and unambiguous unlike much of what I have read elsewhere so thanks for that too.

A

adugga

I take it it's a light coloured stone..
Hi whitebeam, I would probably describe the tiles as darker rather than lighter although they are mixed. Colours are not my strong point, but I used grey cement and I liked the colour that the cracks were. I also first off used what was described as a grey grout which turned out quite light and I just didn't like it so I though I would go for something darker. I bought some Anthracite and did a test on a small section of tiles I had left over and was happier with the colour. Do you think dark grey grout doesn't go with drakish grey mosaics? I can't say colours are my strong point in fact DIY probably isn't either, but I'm getting there.

A

adugga

Grouting...

Hi Rich
I thought I had posted a reply before but its seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I think Keracolor FF is exactly what I am looking for although it seems to difficult to find on the internet so maybe I will call them. I read your grouting instructions and they are very good, clear and unambiguous.

Really appreciate the excellent advice you and whitebeam have given, maybe I will post a pic when I have finished everything (if it doesn't look too bad)

A

adugga

As above, dark adhesive and grout can stain light stone like marble. You are going to want to work very clean to make sure that you get Any grout off of the face of the tiles.
I posted a couple of other replies but they don't seem to have appeared, so thanks for your help and advice rich and whitebeam.
My tiles are not marble but a softer stone, don't know exactly what type. I have sealed them once and will seal again after grouting. I have done a small test with the Ultrabase which was OK but have ordered the Keracolor FF for Friday and will do a test with that as well first. I will do less visible areas to start so that I can hopefully any major errors I make won't be seen.
Once again thanks for your help and especially the instructions link.

A

adugga

All finished now. Many thanks for your help, really saved me a lot of grief second time around. I am quite pleased with how everything has turned out in spite of taking an inordinate amount of time. I was really surprised how much grout I needed, maybe 5kg for less than 2m2?! which was partly because I had more waste than I think I should have but small thick mosaics just use so much - i guess I could have calculated in advance.
Next job is large thin rectangular porcelain tiles for the bathroom.
Cheers guys

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Grouting
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.