Discuss GSI not DIY . A message to customers. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

I like this section of the article :

However good you are at DIY you will be doing a job for the first time that someone else has spent a lifetime learning how to do properly. You can always tell an amateur job from a professional one; and that’s the key; if you are going to Get Someone In make sure that someone is a professional.
Take tiling: a plumber isn’t a tiler, a painter and decorator isn’t a tiler, a kitchen fitter isn’t a tiler and that nice bloke someone introduced you to in the pub probably isn’t a tiler either.

I

IHB

I'd agree that there is a problem knowing how good a pro is if you want to get someone in. The problem with trades associations though is that the main qualification you need to join is generally paying to join. I've no doubt that the Tile Association will have a range of very good to not so great tilers itself.

I do a lot of DIY - Electrics (incl a re-wire), woodwork (scratch built windows, kitchen cabinets, flooring, garden furniture), tiling (couple of floors & a bathroom), plastering, plumbing (gas & water), underpinning, stone patio etc. There aren't many things I haven't done over the years, initially to save money and then because I want to do it - makes a change from the day job. You only get so experienced as a DIY'er as you only do a job once or twice and undoubtedly an experienced pro could do a better job (and a lot quicker) but that's not the point for me.

I've worked on cars before but not possible with the current car, I have cut my own hair (very badly). If I tried to educate the kids I'd be up for murder by now - no patience.

There are a lot of very experienced tillers on here who do give good advice - seems to have replaced buying DIY books somehow. I'd post pictures of my latest tiling efforts except for the likely hammering I'd get from those pointing out where I'd gone wrong and saying I should have got a pro in!

I

ian158

I'd agree that there is a problem knowing how good a pro is if you want to get someone in. The problem with trades associations though is that the main qualification you need to join is generally paying to join. I've no doubt that the Tile Association will have a range of very good to not so great tilers itself.

I do a lot of DIY - Electrics (incl a re-wire), woodwork (scratch built windows, kitchen cabinets, flooring, garden furniture), tiling (couple of floors & a bathroom), plastering, plumbing (gas & water), underpinning, stone patio etc. There aren't many things I haven't done over the years, initially to save money and then because I want to do it - makes a change from the day job. You only get so experienced as a DIY'er as you only do a job once or twice and undoubtedly an experienced pro could do a better job (and a lot quicker) but that's not the point for me.

I've worked on cars before but not possible with the current car, I have cut my own hair (very badly). If I tried to educate the kids I'd be up for murder by now - no patience.

There are a lot of very experienced tillers on here who do give good advice - seems to have replaced buying DIY books somehow. I'd post pictures of my latest tiling efforts except for the likely hammering I'd get from those pointing out where I'd gone wrong and saying I should have got a pro in!

The guild of master craftsman is another one of those, pay your subscription and we will give you a sticker for you van

I

ian158

Can I also add that odd jobbers and those mixed trades will post to this thread and try and diss the TTA.

Customers reading this take note and use the trade that suits your project.

A tiler for tiling.

A plumber for plumbing and so on.

Jack of all trades can lead to heart ache.

Bit of a Broad statement to make..why would they do that..no reason whatsoever to diss the tta..no benefit in doing so !

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Can I also add that odd jobbers and those mixed trades will post to this thread and try and diss the TTA.

Customers reading this take note and use the trade that suits your project.

A tiler for tiling.

A plumber for plumbing and so on.

Jack of all trades can lead to heart ache.

I see loads of professional tilers doing rubbish work, as much as I see plenty of plumbers doing rubbish plumbing. All this about tilers only for tiling is rubbish.
Nothing in the building trade is brain surgery, it's all about using the best methods and correct materials. All anyone needs after that is a bit of skill with your hands.
My brother is a software programmer, he fitted and tiled his own bathroom. I went down to Hertfordshire to see it expecting crap. But he had researched the best way and the best materials and the bathroom was stunning ( abait took him ages)

S

steve187

in my opinion there are tilers and then there are people that get paid to put tiles on the wall, i have been tiling 40 years , i have had time away from the tools and enjoyed other occupations, police officer, public house tenant, but i always kept my hand in, but still after all those years there is always something new to learn, most of which i pick up from here, but the skill of tiling is either in you or not, all the teaching and hands on experience will not turn some people into tilers.
Tiling someones bathroom or kitchen is something that the customer has to live with for 20+ years, they will see it every day, and will always pick up on bad workmanship day after day, we have all had to price work against cowboys, how many times have you been to look at a job that requires some plastering first, only to find out later that the plaster then talked the customer into doing the tiling as well.

so to sum up i think the TTA is correct with this campaign, but to compare it with a hair cut, of servicing your own car is a bad comparison, more like would you repair your own accident damaged luxury car, or perform your own vasectomy.

sometimes more than a few lines is required on some threads.

I

ian158

Argh but you missed the point..only time served good tilers are professional ..not the rubbish ones..tut don't you know nuffink..same goes for all trades..only the good ones are professional..bad ones are just playing at it...and don't get me on multitrades...they are evil devil worshippers..aka "odd jobbers" lol..I hate tiling floors by the way..and using dark grouts..a pig to clean !

I

IHB

By reading their website.

To be honest Dave, from their website they don't look much different to others. It says you pay from £210 and that they check your financial, technical and service standards but that could mean any thing in terms of the standards of work that they're happy with and what they'll do if the work isn't up to standard.

I think I'd still go with a recommendation from someone like an architect that's used a company a number of times and knows what good work looks like.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Please don't push for too many trade body's as you will end up with the tiling equivalent of gas safe.

I dont think it would ne a bad thing as we are constantly seeing bad work posted on this forum and perhaps it would slowly push out people that cant tile correctly. I wouldn't ask a plumber whos isnt gas safe to plumb my boiler in so y ask a plaster to tile. And for the multitrades on here most of your work it quality anyway so it would just be a matter of qualifying or whatever it would be.

Reply to GSI not DIY . A message to customers. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB