Discuss Gyvlon low laitence screeds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Bal have not come back to me yet with any further anhydrite training days. Not sure why but may be the uptake due to the charge. Worth while days though IMO.

I am happy to present another day for TF whenever you guys say so.

Now to the addys

the risk of cement is primarily chemical reaction between the cement and the gypsum. The way to avoid this is

1. Use a suitable sulphate barrier
i. Epoxy Primer is best at this
ii. Good quality acrylic usually in 2 coats
a. Most of the primers we have tested require dilution especially if over low laitance as the surface
is so much harder and denser than the old fashioned stuff
b. Problem here is that most manufacturers don't recommend dilution. Problem with that is the surface will not allow the primer to penetrate the screed surface which leads to a weak bond between it and the screed.
iii. SBR is ok but can soften with water and heat so be careful

2. Eliminate one of the required ingredients for the reaction to occur
i. Bear in mind Screed will always contain some moisture so you will never eliminate all of this so beware particularly of over wet screeds with cement adhesives.......put cement of wet anhydrite and it WILL fail.

ii. Bear in mind the use of uncoupling which divorce the tile face and its own section of adhesive from the screed but are often stuck down with cement addy so won't stay fixed for long

iii. Brings us to the primary recomendation i.e. get rid of the cement altogether and use a gypsum based addy or at least one which will not react

Gypsum Products available
a. Easily Available
i. Creative Impressions GBTA

b. Soon to be launched or relaunched

i. Niocobond (not sure of name but think will be Unique - Launch approx July)
ii. Weber (now making in the UK due to cost but no launch date yet)
iii. Forbo Flooring (Available bu at present will be imported) - Alphycol 725

Non Gypsum Products available

i. Kerakoll - H40 ideal
ii. Benfer - Benfer Gyps
iii. Tubbed dispersion adhesives (Yes I know you don't like these but they do stick tiles to Gypsum
screeds)

Hope this is helpful - I will happily accept updates that I am not aware of but this is to the best of my knowledge so far

Last edited:

Reply to Gyvlon low laitence screeds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here; I've been reading as many threads...
Replies
Views
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S
Hi guys. All the Anhydrite screeds I have done, have UFH (wet) I have always lathered the floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Gyvlon low laitence screeds
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.