UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss hair-hygrometer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

As it would happen I'm doing a gypsum floor at the moment and I went out to do a moisture content check last week with a digital hygrometer and it was not much use as it seemed to be picking up the water in the UFH!!! The only place it gave an accurate reading (dry reading) was inside a stud wall where there was no pipework underneath, I didn't use a probe just the testing sensor on the rear of the unit. I think to get an accurate reading a probe in the screed is required.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
We are currently doing some work on this to compare digital with hair. The main reason for this is because hair hygrometers are so difficult to get hold of. We find that digital ones are only accurate at rh readings between about 70 and 85. Also bear in mind that there is a fiv percent tolerance in the reading so a dry floor will show 75 plus or minus 5 percent I.e it is dry at 80. The primary issue here is due o the compatibility issues using cement and gypsum together. Gypsum on gypsum is much more robust making the absolute accuracy of moisture testing less important. The hygrometer you found Beale will work. You would place it on a ouple of matchsticks so it is just off the floor. Then over the area with a piece of polythene and tape it down to the screed. Clear polythene is best so you an read through it. Leave it in place for 48 hours and see what it says. The main issue with this type of device and the reason people are now going digital is that the calibration is quite sensitive. I actually use a teamed moisture meter as a survey tool. It seems to work relatively well. The protameter hygro hoods are also quite good. The carbide bomb is accurate when used correctly and is the european test of choice.

T

tarkett85

to check rh readings in concrete use a hygrometer such as protimeter hygromaster get a couple of blank boxes, then use a damp meter to check best areas for putting them down it's the ONLY way apart from dropping the sensors into the ground and allow a minimum of 48 hours for data collection. The best ones cost around £600-700 Protimeter mms or Tramex CMeXpertII, this is the only way to check moisture content to British Standards reading in Rh%:yikes:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to hair-hygrometer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to the forum, I'm a customer of a bodged tiling job done 2 years ago by a general...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hi all, So glad to have stumbled across this website. I completed a Tiling course last year and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
hair-hygrometer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.