UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss half wood half concrete.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fizz_bosh

Hi All,

You have been really helpful before when it came to tiling my bathroom with limestone (I had a nightmare tiler who didn't seal the tiles, i ended up re-honing each one to get rid of stains :( !!)

.. now its time for the kitchen & I have 18sqm half timber joists/T&G and half is 5month old screed (70mm) on top of 70mm celotex on top of concrete block and beam floor (part of new extension).

The main thing is that I don't want a visible expansion gap on the finished floor. Can I avoid this by using Ditra matting over the whole area?

I was thinking of using a tile backer board over whole area, stuck down with adhesive & screwed on the timber half. Then ditra, then tiles... hoping no joint it necessary?

Can this work?

If not, other suggestions/advice is very welcome..

Thanks

Hi,I had a problem laying limestone in the same situation the customer did not want to see an expansion joint but it did crack and he agreed that he had have one try this Schluter profile dilex_copy.jpg

F

fizz_bosh

Hi, thx afright for the comments & pic. I have decided not have the floor tiled if an expansion joint is essential as I don't want the visual delineation of old house & extension half way thru' the kitchen.

David - The screed was a standard cement mix with fibres. Depth is 70mm. Not sure I know anything else about it :-/

Has anyone had 'successful' experience tiling in this kind of situation WITHOUT a movement joint?

D

DHTiling

You could install what is called a cold joint at the 2 substrates intersection. this would need to be min 5mm wide depending on the length of the 2 substates.. this is filled with a matching silicone to the grout colour..

This will then be a lot less noticeable than a preformed 10mm metal/plastic strip joint.

Starting a full tile either side of the substrate split would look less obtrusive.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to half wood half concrete.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Following advice from a damp and timber report carried out we were advised to a apply a coat of...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m in Hampton SW London and have a floor problem. Wunda UFH water heating was installed...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello friends. I am looking for a bit of advice, you would be so kind. I have been a long...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.