Discuss Hard day down the pit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Just had a pretty gruesome day. Yesterday was supposed to be day1 of a 55 metre Jerusalem Limestone (60x40) job in a new Orangery, kitchen/dining room combo and utility room. The tiles didn't turn up so day 1 was a washout. Time to catch up a bit.

Today, on my own, I managed to fix 30m of stone, including getting the things from the pallet (36m) and getting it level around a central piller which covered 3 separate floor levels. Tasty.

8.30 til 5pm. Jiggered (I'm not that young). Bearing in mind this wasn't a straight fixing job what's the most that you've done on your own, including humping the tiles, setting out and having just 20 mins for lunch? Grout and sealant to follow.

G

Gall.B

Hi Spooner, The most done in a day (nightshift 12hours) between 4 fixers & 2 labourers was 1 side of an Atrium between loading up mixing setting out sheeting screwing ditra matting laying 600x600 porcelain we got 150m2 done & grouted .or the contractor we were subbying 2 was inth s*%*%E. Number 2 squad who were lucky if rhey got 30m2 done even had the cheek 2 ask if we would grout there work!

Thats some shift m8 30m2 of stone, yer back will be breaking!

G

Gall.B

A[language removed]ye need to hump I think he ment, so your limp wristed then? 150 m2 grouted is more than decent never mind the plywood sheeting & ditra matt 2 lol. legends were made that nite talk about team work also 2 stair nosings and cut round 2 pillars now i remmember. project manager walks in at 5am and goes no [language removed] way, how?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Some people are just so talented they can do both imo. I know a guy whos called the tiler who canae use rapid set, not a good reputation to have. suppose its who you learn from I was fortunate to learn from some of the very best.

and I belive theres a user registerd whos name is the word i used
you maybe right, but some of us mere mortals never stop learning, (even after 30 years)

Some people are just so talented they can do both imo. I know a guy whos called the tiler who canae use rapid set, not a good reputation to have. suppose its who you learn from I was fortunate to learn from some of the very best.

and I belive theres a user registerd whos name is the word i used
I know a tiler like that, he says he's slow but sure. I say I'm sure your slow.

Anyway, my reputation for quality means I do all of the tiling work for this bespoke kitchen manufacturer. £30 -£100k kitchens are not bought by clients who wants a cheap and chatty job. 30m in a day doesn't represent a regular day for me by the way, if it was I would be in a box by now.

G

Gall.B

you maybe right, but some of us mere mortals never stop learning, (even after 30 years)

Totaly agree with that you learn something new every day thats the beauty of doing something you love, working with experienced fixers on big jobs all over the shop helps to I like working with diffrent tradesman helps, thats why I feel lucky to have served my time with the old Tofflo me I did

Reply to Hard day down the pit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tyne Valley, Northumberland
Business Name
Tyne Valley Tiling Limited

Thread Information

Title
Hard day down the pit
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.