Discuss hardibacker i am confused in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
The worse thing about screwing the subfloor down again to strengthen it is you never know where ALL the pipes are, I always cut out a section and check (I also have an LCD inspection camera) where the pipe runs are.

I fitted a bathroom back in March and got a call to go back as there was hot water pouring through the dining room ceiling, closer investigation revealed that I'd managed to screw into a 22mm hot pipe from the cylinder (gravity). It had been watertight for months until the screw had become eroded/corroded by the water.

Lesson learnt, never again!

P

Perfect Tiling

I never use plywood. The stuff stocked local to me all has a final layer of hardwood and i've done samples of gluing tiles to it and leaving for a week or two. It always comes off easily...but can't remove from the hardibacker. I usually drill a hole in the existing floor and measure the thickness so I can use screws that won't protrude through the underside. Clean the timber and apply adhesive with 8mm trowel. Lay the hardibacker so joints are staggered, screw down at 250mm centres and tape and fill joints with adhesive. When tiling I usually wipe the area as I work with a wet sponge to remove any dust and wet the surface. Seem to work for me OK..

O

Olz

The worse thing about screwing the subfloor down again to strengthen it is you never know where ALL the pipes are, I always cut out a section and check (I also have an LCD inspection camera) where the pipe runs are.

I fitted a bathroom back in March and got a call to go back as there was hot water pouring through the dining room ceiling, closer investigation revealed that I'd managed to screw into a 22mm hot pipe from the cylinder (gravity). It had been watertight for months until the screw had become eroded/corroded by the water.

Lesson learnt, never again!

Excellent advice, I once got complacant and put a screw straight into a gas pipe, lucky not a customers house, but at my grandads after the council had just done a refurb, of his bathroom and not bothered to refit the carpet gripper threshold in the doorway, they had lifted some floorboards and not fastened them back down so I screwed them, strong smell of gas, undid the screw.... hissssssss. Oops.

Luckily my cousin was also there and he's a gas fitter so no panic, just turned the gas off and he replaced the pipe section. Could have been a disaster.

Reply to hardibacker i am confused in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Ok. Basically am i tilng right/prepping correctly? Full time professional tiler, nearly 15...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm a DIYer so apologies if I get the terminology wrong etc I've started work remodeling...
Replies
Views
Tiling around window:. The tiles are 60X30 10mm porcelain. The wall tiles will be cut and fit...
Replies
Views
G
(I know similar questions have been posted before but they're closed for follow up questions) I...
Replies
Views
G
S
Hi again Last week several of you helped me out with advice for a wetroom floor. There were a...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
hardibacker i am confused
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.