UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hardie Backer Board Or Plywood Substrate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I am in the process of doing my bathroom. (Actually I have been since February but that's another story :oops:). I have bought marble floor tiles and the plan was to lay these on a plywood base. The floorboards currently in the bathroom are of the 18mm chipboard variety but unfortunately a number of them are water damaged. The one under the bath was completely sodden so I have already ripped that one out. After researching this forum and a number of others on the net I had come to the conclusion that the ideal solution would be to take up all the chipboard flooring and replace this with WBP 22mm plywood and tile over the top.

I am now wondering about the use of Hardie Backer board. I've read through their leaflet and this seems like another ideal solution. I could replace the damaged chipboard flooring with the same and then go over the top with hardie backer board.

Does anyone have any comments, preferences on either solution?

The hardie cement board is only 6mm thick. Is this a sufficient thickness to tile over to avoid movement?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

PS. I'm no expert diyer so go easy on me if I've suggested a wrong idea :dizzy2:

B

Bartlett

Agree with above. Best get rid of the old floor now and do a thorough job. You might also want to add extra noggins to add a bit of support while you're at it. Definitely worth doing.
Are there any height issues? ie, at the doorway into the landing/next room? The backer board is thinner which may be better for you. Plenty of advice available on this forum (just search) about how to use this.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DazJWood

Hey thanks guys for all your quick responses! Much appreciated.

I'm still a bit unsure of which route to take though.

I've bought some of the homelux membrane to do my shower cubicle walls and above the bath. I wasn't going to put anything down for the floor though. (Plus how does it waterproof the floor if there are numerous holes for wastes and pipes).

The height between rooms should not be too much of a problem as long as I don't increase height too much. The marble tiles I have got are fairly thick though so I'd rather try and avoid raising the floor too much. Nevertheless I want the job to be the best it can be.

I'm still confused over what options I've got because it seems I have a few more lol. (Maybe I just need to stop dithering and just go for one!)

1) Should I remove existing chipboarding completely and then replace with 22mm ply and tile over.

2) Remove existing chipboard floorboard, replace with 18mm WBP ply and then fit hardie 6mm backerboards and then tile over.

3) Leave good chipboarding and replace water damaged ones with the same new ones. Then fit Hardie 6mm backer board and tile over.

4) Then I guess there is all of the above with the addition of a membrane (Homelux or the other membrane Doug above mentioned).

Thanks again for all your comments (and thanks for excusing my ignorance to all this :thumbsup:)

Daz

D

DazJWood

I've bought Excel Bond Rapid Flex Adhesive for the marble floor tiles. Is this adhesive the correct stuff for going onto 6mm Hardie Board? When I bought the tiles I told the guy I was putting them down on at least 18mm plywood and he suggested this adhesive saying anything less than 18mm he'd recommend something different. As the Hardie board is only 6mm thick will this make a difference to using this adhesive?

Thanks,

Daz

D

DazJWood

Right I've now got rid of all my old flooring. Installed loads of extra noggins for support, installed a security light and a double socket (in my adjoining room and it's nothing to do with the bathroom but while I had the floor up I thought I may as well! :8:).

I'll be putting the new flooring down soon, which will be 18mm ply (sealed with Bal SBR) and then I'm going to put Hardie Backer Board over the top and then marble tiles.

This may seem a stupid question (which I'm sure it is!) but do I need to use any particular screws? Im guessing for the ply I can just use any type of decent woodscrew? For the Hardie boards there are specific Hardie screws. Should I get some of those or can I use an equivalent? Are they just the manufacturer charging a premium because they can?

I guess I'm asking because I'm worried about using screws that may rust and leach into the marble.

Thanks,

Daz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hardie Backer Board Or Plywood Substrate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've just seen patches of tile backer board with patches where something looks to have...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.