Discuss hardie backer slc in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

diferentshades

hi guys, have prepped my bathroom for tiling after using this forum as a guide. i have screwed all floorboards down tight, sbr primed and adhesive and screwed hardiebacker. while screwing the hardibacker down I noticed that the floor is not flat, it has a slope down to the middle, there is no bounce, just a slope i'd say about a 1/4 of an inch and then backup again. I tried tiling using large tile adhesive but i'm getting a lot of lipping. the tiles are 127mm by 800mm porcelain. my first tiling project by the way. really unhappy with the 8 or so tiles I laid so pulled them up! I was wondering if I clean up the hardibacker, can I use self levelling compound to flatten the floor? if so what type and should I prime the hardibacker. ( the return key has failed on my keyboard!)

D

diferentshades

Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I would rather do it myself but if I get real stuck then i'm not too proud to let a pro in, I've done everything else my self except the plumb and electrics. I have taken out the tiles and i'm now left with mostly adhesive free hardiebacker. Shall I at least seal it with bal sbr if so dilute? or just get on with adhesive. quick one though, could I part fill the dip with adhesive, let it dry then crack on?

D

diferentshades

Hi guys, just saw all your replies... thanks for that. I all ready started tiling again, to late to get the slc. I started at a wall that I hadn't tiled yet, so far all is good! I started with a 6 mm trowel and back buttered the tile, this is where the floor is at its highest at the wall end. i'll probably go up to a 10mm then 12 mm as I get to the lowest point, checking with a straight edge as I go. I managed to avoid lipping so far by putting spacers under the corner of the previous row and as I put tile in the next row I have been sliding it back and forth till they sit together, probably wont work as I get to the middle of the floor but I think i'll have enough done to use a straight edge across the width and use my persuader! I might level the dip with some slc or carry on using thicker bed of adhesive. spoke to a lady from hardiebacker on Thursday and she said slc on top of hardie was a no no but she didn't seem to confident, besides I have seen posts where some of you guys have used it on hardie so i'll see how it goes. once again cheers

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Hi guys, just saw all your replies... thanks for that. I all ready started tiling again, to late to get the slc. I started at a wall that I hadn't tiled yet, so far all is good! I started with a 6 mm trowel and back buttered the tile, this is where the floor is at its highest at the wall end. i'll probably go up to a 10mm then 12 mm as I get to the lowest point, checking with a straight edge as I go. I managed to avoid lipping so far by putting spacers under the corner of the previous row and as I put tile in the next row I have been sliding it back and forth till they sit together, probably wont work as I get to the middle of the floor but I think i'll have enough done to use a straight edge across the width and use my persuader! I might level the dip with some slc or carry on using thicker bed of adhesive. spoke to a lady from hardiebacker on Thursday and she said slc on top of hardie was a no no but she didn't seem to confident, besides I have seen posts where some of you guys have used it on hardie so i'll see how it goes. once again cheers

I've never had a problem with slc over Hardi,always prime it though!!!cant understand her telling you that!!!!!

D

diferentshades

Hi guys, Thanks for all replies. Finished the floor last night. Does not look too shabby! there are a couple of high and low spots. I laid them in a random wood floor pattern (your spot on colour republic) not quite lipping but where two tiles meet end to end, they are flush but the adjacent long edge of the next tile is slightly raised, you don't really feel it when you walk on it but you can if you run your hand across it. went for extra adhesive after all, in hind sight, would have gone with your suggestions of SLC. Using extra adhesive, I think works, but only if your experienced or the patience of a saint! What's the best way to clean the tiles of adhesive residue? also any suggestions on grout make colour? it's the wenge colour on the following link: Xilema Porcelain Tile

D

diferentshades

hi guys

I am tiling a shower area and need some advice again!

it's In a corner where one side is existing skimmed plasterboard, the other is rendered and skimmed wall. I have made a stud wall with moisture resistant plasterboard un skimmed to make a 3 walled area like an alcove.

I am considering putting mr plasterboard on the two existing walls as well, then either hardiebacker, homelux matting or bal tanking to all the walls. Not sure which one to use. I am using a resin shower tray which will be raised off the floor to accommodate the waste.

should the plasterboard go al the way down to the floor? if I use hardiebacker, should this go all the way to the floor or sit on the tray?

I know I said i'll post pics - and I will as soon as shower is finished - new baby coming on monady, so bit of a rush now!

thanks

D

diferentshades

Hi, some more advice needed. I'm doing the shower at the moment, it's in the corner with one side being plasterboard and skim, the other bricks with render and skim and I've made a stud wall to make a third side so it's a 3 walled shower. I battened out the brick wall and put mr plasterboard on all 3 walls. I'm mot sure what to go for next! Bal tanking, homelux matting, kerdi membrane or boar, hardiebacker, no more ply! Any advice guys?
I have a raised resin shower tray, if using a board, do I go down to floor level or stop at tray? Any advice please?

D

diferentshades

Hi, tilebarry

All ready finished the floor. Thanks for your reply though. Turned out quite well. I know what you mean about the packing, but I filled it with adhesive and made sure the tile spacer packers were just under the adhesive surface. Lifted the odd tile to check and there was complete coverage. Also luckily had to only do this under the bath area, not under the feet mind you. I used the bal large format tile adhesive, cause you can apply it quite thick. The floor feels really solid.

Here's a pic:

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, anyone no of a tilling course near ilford Essex?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 85
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to hardie backer slc in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB