UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hardiebacker Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

I've used it a couple of times - 6mm. Not in the conventional sense either as I was using it to cover some existing tiles on a wall before re-tiling with mosiacs on one occassion and a bit of substrate bridging on another.

I find the 6mm is ok to use but the sheets are definately not flat. If they are to go on a floor, they must be screwed into a wet bed of adhesive.

Prior to that only ever ply'd out a floor once (my own) and only 9mm as floor was rock solid. Did it as a practise piece to be honest.

Would prefer not to use either if I could get away with it, tbh!

T

tiler burden

hi

1. screw them as you fit each board as you go along, try to always use screws, nails become lose over the years. just go in a new house and listen to the chip board flooring after 6 months!!!
2. when fitting to walls, screw battons to the wall, then screw the backerboard to the battons remembering to fit cross sections in between were 2 backerboards join!! use coated screws!

K

karlm98

the yanks invented hardibacker..you can use thinset under the board but screwing it down and not nailing is always the best option i have also used PL glue(no nails type glue) both the hardi500 and the 1/4 boards are 3ftx5ft and 4ft x 8ft in the USA and bought at home depot it usually ran around $12/13 a sheet, we of course make it smaller and 20% tax..so of course we pay more for less also they tape and bed their joints (sometimes) it is an industry standard as the quality of ply in the USA is terrible, also the hardi screws counter sink themselves and the packs i bought came with a square headed bit to screw them in and trust me screwing hardi is a breeze with their screws.
i use no more ply in the UK with glue and screwed every 30mm the screws that no more ply supply are just self tappers Philips head and a right pain i dont see why we dont just do what the americans do and make em easier to use..lol
if your floor is sound and none or very little deflection then hardi/no more ply is the way to go, you dont need to prime. cement based adhesive sticks to cement boards no problems..
i tiled 2ft x 2ft gauged slate on a kitchen floor (30m2) i glued hardi 500 and screwed every 10inches i used mapei ultra flex 3 grouted and sealed then the architect called me about needing a hole for the electrics in the island i can tell you it was a right pain to get the tile and hardi up from the boards to access the electrics there was no way the tile was coming up from the hardi i had to cut thru to the wood and used a crowbar to lever the stuff up..
by the way ULTRFLEX 3 is fantastic adhesive, not seen it in the UK tho, it was expensive at $32 a bag
i always have a gander at the US sites for Laticrete and mapei to whats up n coming...well worth a look

LATICRETE® International > Architects > Products
Tile & Stone Installation Systems
#10 x 1-1/4 in. Zinc Plated Steel Flat Head Square Cement Board Screws 800 Pack-23405 at The Home Depot

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perfect Tiling

I always use the 6mm hardi on floors...I never use ply anymore. If its a big floor I stagger the sheets to prevent long joints. Put down on wet addy using a 6mm comb and screw down where it is marked leaving a 2-3mm gap between sheets. If its a dry floor I use my collated screwgun which lets me fire in 30 screws in about 2 minutes...no need to countersink as the screws pull in. As Monty said...don't use screws that are too long unless you know whats under the floor...pipes...ducts...wires...etc. When all down I cover the gaps with mesh tape and skim them with adhesive. When its all set you get a good floor to tile onto or level off with slc. Never used the stuff on walls yet.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hardiebacker Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hardiebacker Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.