Discuss has anyone ever come across in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DP Tiling

Most fibre reinforced SLC can go up to 50mm in one hit these days so thickness of bed isn't likely an issue. What concerns me is if I remember correctly it says in bs 5385 that wet system UFH has to be in a min of 75mm screed, due to the flow temperature through the pipes - too close to the surface could cause the tiles to get too hot and can cause tenting or lifting of the tiles. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. Ajax is the man for this methinks. He is indeed a fountain of knowledge :)

J

J Sid

British & European standards

Several standards cover the different areas of underfloor heating, and are detailed below:
•Wet systems fall under the British standard BS.EN 1264, Parts 1 to 4. Part 2 of the legislation states that the maximum comfortable temperature underfoot is 29°C; while part 4 specifies the allowance in wet rooms of a maximum floor temperature of 33°C, and 35°C for a one metre perimeter zone. The standard also sets out a limit of 1.5 TOGs for any floor coverings.
•Most types of flooring are comfortable within this temperature range; basic vinyl flooring and lino can withstand a surface temperature of 27°C, while heavy duty plastic sheeting can tolerate a 29°C surface temperature.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
British & European standards

Several standards cover the different areas of underfloor heating, and are detailed below:
•Wet systems fall under the British standard BS.EN 1264, Parts 1 to 4. Part 2 of the legislation states that the maximum comfortable temperature underfoot is 29°C; while part 4 specifies the allowance in wet rooms of a maximum floor temperature of 33°C, and 35°C for a one metre perimeter zone. The standard also sets out a limit of 1.5 TOGs for any floor coverings.
•Most types of flooring are comfortable within this temperature range; basic vinyl flooring and lino can withstand a surface temperature of 27°C, while heavy duty plastic sheeting can tolerate a 29°C surface temperature.

Bear in mind that British standards are onl y guidelines and not legislation. You are able to step outside of the British standards and use what are termed proprietary systems. Additionally some systems are covered under Bba certification or cstb or Astm standards.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I have never seen a wet underfloor heating system encapsulated with standard self levelling compounds. However there are a few bagged materials such as our sure flow product which mix and act like slc but are actually thick screeds

One of the issues using a standard leveller is the drying shrinkage which could lead to cracking and curling. Not a good idea in my opinion and hellish expensive to do. However if it performs "structurally" speaking and you follow all the standard rules ie. Dry it, sand it, heat it, fix it (assuming it cracks) prime it then I can't see any reason to worry. I would probably go with ditra as a back stop though.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to has anyone ever come across in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB