Discuss Has anyone used this before? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
As the title says. Customer has asked me if I could quote for tiling kitchen/diner.

He's a distance away from me so I asked him to send photos of existing floor to see what was down already.

This is the existing floor looking from underneath the units, so chipboard floor on joists, what looks like mesh with mortar/adhesive and then ceramic tile on top.

He had flood water in the house about 7 years ago, none of the tiles de-bonded but a few areas of grout have popped a bit. Had structural engineer out to say that joists etc. are ok.

Just wondered if anybody has used this method or removed tiles that have been fixed this way.

20150130_164749_resized.jpg 20150130_170905_resized.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

They look like an extruded terracotta type tile.
As Brian the tile many moons ago in a not too distant past we would lay a waterproof building paper over wood (usually t&g) then fix chicken mesh to the surface and overscreed with a sand and cement mortar. The tiles were then fix into this semi dry mix with a cement slurry.
Must be at least 30 years since I've had the pleasure of this method but that's not to say its not still done.
No crack mats, no flexible adhesives, no problems!
Tile on top if you don't want to take them up or be prepared to fill a skip and overboard, crack mat and flexible addy.
Price it well as you always do.

T

Taylormade

It's a product called expamet ie expanded metal mesh. It was used some years ago laid straight onto timber floors. Two types either stainless (expensive!) or galvanised. Normally tacked down with horse shoe nails as I call them. Then standard concrete adhesive. If sub floor was tongue and groove it generally worked. If sub floor was chipboard then it was a no no. Pig of a job to take up.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
It's a product called expamet ie expanded metal mesh. It was used some years ago laid straight onto timber floors. Two types either stainless (expensive!) or galvanised. Normally tacked down with horse shoe nails as I call them. Then standard concrete adhesive. If sub floor was tongue and groove it generally worked. If sub floor was chipboard then it was a no no. Pig of a job to take up.

Definitely directly onto chipboard so chances are it could damage it badly enough to replace floor.

T

Time's Ran Out

them were the days. ..one pair of overalls between ten of us......walk twenty miles to work each day carrying ten m2 of tiles and kit in a wheelbarrow.....with a flat tyre. .....you don't know how good you lot got it....lol

You had it easy - wheelbarrow/overalls/only 10 m2 of tiles/ 20miles and a flat tyre - we had to work in the only clothes we had, run the 50 miles to the job pushing a cart with 20 sq yards of quarry tiles and all the sand/cement for a days work! And we never complained.

Reply to Has anyone used this before? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Our tile installer abandoned our new installation project. A smaller section of cut tile...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB