Discuss Has the search come to an end, finally? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
As some of you may know, I'm constantly searching for a 'tradesman's listing' type website that works well. The likes of mybuilder, myhammer, ratedtradesmen and such websites generally don't work well as the ratio of customers (who don't pay) to tradesmen (who do pay) is always well in favour of the customer. Each 1 job can have 12 tradesmen's quotes supplied which simply causes price wars.

And the amount of times I've seen a listing advertising as fully qualified in roofing, gardening, slabbing, tiling, plastering, fencing, blah-de-blah when in fact we all know they're probably not qualified in any one of those - just makes me laugh.

I'm always searching for one that works. Brownbook.net is one to watch out for in the future, it's a listing style site and not a 'bid for work' which is nice. But it doesn't seem to be gaining actual work yet for many. And it certainly doesn't rank well.

Freeindex seems brilliant, and they're constantly updating it. It's self-sufficient cash-flow wise as it doesn't charge for listings or 'jobs' listed, but simply gains revenue through advertising generally on their site.

But today I've had an enquiry from a newer one. And I'd like to have your feedback on the stage it's at at the moment. myProSpot - Business Profiling, Search, Online Marketing, Rating, Recommendation, Review and Web Hosting.

They guys seems to want to work with us on this. And I'm happy to help providing it works for you guys. I wouldn't want to work with them if they kept their forums, but the guy's said he'd get rid of forum categories that clash with us and simply direct traffic to our forums instead. Obviously providing we go-ahead with this and link back to them via banners and whatnot.

So. Has the search finally come to an end?

Can you guys give me your views please?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Well, if they work with me (discussing by email today) on getting their system right, I think it's worth risking giving it a go. We'll see what comes of it.

If anybody wants to checkout the website, and see if it's something you'd want to use, then please let me know your thoughts. :)

Thanks for your input already Endo. :)

C

Colour Republic

Sorry Dan, just registered and the info you can put up for free is next to nothing, if you want to put up anything other than very basic details (by the way the cats you can be in are also limited) then membership costs from £10 up to a whooping £150. Looks like a new directory site so may get better but i've always thought charging for listings is the wrong business model to start with

U

user123

Ok, first impression, to fussy, too much information in small print on the home page, wouldn't bother with it normally and would click straight off... I really like simple... most people looking for a service are somewhat stressed out by it, making the right decision etc, and the last thing you need is overload.

Saying that , I am pretty stressed at the moment, so maybe a bit oversensitive... I looked for a tiler in London and one Essex link came up... so it must be very new...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sorry Dan, just registered and the info you can put up for free is next to nothing, if you want to put up anything other than very basic details (by the way the cats you can be in are also limited) then membership costs from £10 up to a whooping £150. Looks like a new directory site so may get better but i've always thought charging for listings is the wrong business model to start with
Is the £10 to £150 an annual thing mate?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I've told the guy to get back to use when he has got through any teething problems. He also said he's about to restructure the pricing, and I think he meant in their favour, not the members, as he said "and any accounts currently registered will keep their charge agreed for the whole life of the account" sort of thing.

So we'll see how it goes.

Reply to Has the search come to an end, finally? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Add your news for free; Tiling News, Plumbing News, Electrical News What's Involved in...
Replies
Views
N
Overview: Tiles Up North has been established in Cairns, North Queensland for over 10 years. It...
Replies
Views
nvoorst
N
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
http://www.*************************.com/water-underfloor-heating-152-w.asp Supplying Water...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
Has the search come to an end, finally?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.