UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Has this shower been tanked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marc the plumb

Hi,
Actiling -
I'm only a plumber in that i've completed a 2 yr city and guilds level 2 in plumbing and i'm now doing small jobs for friends and family to build up my knowledge and experience. During my college experience, for what ever reason, tanking wasn't covered.

Faithhealer -
So if the grout has been comprimised, it could need regrouting with water proof grout?
I believe some sort of tape is used, one half on the wall and the other sticking on the tray, is this not to stop water going down the side of the tray? Again, as I say above, I'm inexperienced with tanking so please forgive this question if it seems idiotic.
Thanks in advance

Marc

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I believe some sort of tape is used, one half on the wall and the other sticking on the tray, is this not to stop water going down the side of the tray?

The tape gives the indication that it has been tanked, but not necessarily fully. What do you mean exactly by "water going down the side of the tray"? I thought initially that the water was coming back in, at tray level; but now i'm thinking that the water is actually getting out? That sounds more like the tanking has failed for some reaon!?!

M

marc the plumb

Thanks for your reply Beanz

I believe the water from the shower head is hitting the tiled wall, trickling down, then seeping through where the tiles touch the tray and are siliconed. I can't actually see any tape when i've removed the silicone to re apply it which made me think it may not have been tanked at all.
I'm probably not explaining this too well am I? Apologies if not!!

My friend that has the problem has only just moved into a house, buying it from a guy who did it up himself and by all accounts has done a half @rsed job on everything else so I suspect he may have done a rush job on the shower too.

If I remove the bottom row of tiles and can see no tape present, does that mean no taking has been done?

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

beanz

TF
Berkshire
If the water seems to be running down the back of the tiles, then back in at tray level, i'd say it has been tanked, but you'll need to get the tiles off to be sure unfortunately. I've not done any tanking yet, and the only tanking kit i've looked at had a rubberized paint, which would be painted over, and under, the tape. Not sure how it'd look if a membrane was used though!?! Maybe one of the more experienced guys will be along shortly to advise. ;)

C

cornish_crofter

The only proper way to solve this is to rip the tiles off and reassess the tanking.

If the walls are plasterboard I would recommend removing the plasterboard and using aquapanel or similar tanked with SBR, or use a tanking membrane of the plasterboard is up to it, but you would have to clean up the plasterboard.

If they are solid walls then the approach would depend on what the substrate is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Has this shower been tanked? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.