Discuss Health and Safety at work. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Trade tiler do some really handy stair rods for keeping your dust sheet in place.
As for PPE Eh find it too restrictive. Only thing i sometimes do is pop some plugs in my ears.
Steel toes are too clunky and heavy.
Can't see through goggles.
Can't feel through gloves.
I look after my knees though. The red backs are awesome :thumbup:

Stair rods.. i have a set and keep forgetting i have those on the van .. oops..

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
just done 3 weeks at heathrow working on a new burberry store , glasses gloves vest and helmet to be worn at all times , 1 lad got kicked off for removing is glasses to wipe them as they had steamed up , he'd just removed them when baa health and safety guy turned up, a bit harsh imo , this guy loved the power he had over us, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr numpty

I've just been asked to quote for a job down there, terminal 4 I think. It's not a big job and I'm thinking of declining it due to the hassle involved, I always seem to fall out with H+S people

P

Pebbs

H & S is my middle name....apparently. Its crucial for us, because we have h & s grading with all the clients. Every piece of kit has to be pat tested on 6 month interval. Before we have even walked on the job, there is a mountain of method statements, risk assessments, cosshh assessments, material data sheets, you name it they want it. If they don't have it, and its not gone to status A, them lads will not be allowed to start. After this has happened then every document has to be uploaded onto the h & s files for that project. I have to have drugs and alcohol policies, enviromental polices, anti-corruption polices, health assessment policies, I have a full house of polices, and the records are checked. Tool Box Talks, manual handling, logistical tactics policies...the list is endless. Don't be thinking that these records are never checked, they are and if they are not up to date we can lose our Grade A status, which means no more work on the big contracts. Then nots let forget the site safety supervisor cards that a proportion of the lads have to have.

As Nybor said, if you are ever caught with out your glasses on, your gloves on, caught smoking outside the site, your yellow carded, if you do it again, your red carded, then you dismissed from site for the day sometimes 3 days and then have to go back through your site induction.

Pebbs

P

Peter

Once got caught peeing out the back unit door of a huge shopping complex being built after being there only a few hours. Contractor's were sticklers for H&S as it was the chief h&s officer who just happened to walk round the corner on me.

Then again there was only one set of toilets on the job which were a 15 minute walk there and back so all I was doing was increasing productivity. :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Always dust sheets down and warn customers of dangers going up and down stairs. Take them up every evening so no probs for the 'secret lemonade drinkers'

What about the other side of the coin though. Stair gates for kids, top and bottom. Have had a few jobs where they have little ankle biters and you have to open and close the gate every time, trip hazards as well they are, do my nut in!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Health and Safety at work. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB