Discuss Hello all, new to forum, need advice with wetroom floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

IanB

Hello everyone, have often looked at this forum for advice and have just registerd this morning with a question.
I am looking at changing a bedroom into a wetroom in an old house and planning to overlay the existing floor with Marmox boards.
The existing floor is approx 3.5 x 2.5 square metres of wooden floorboards which will all be screwed down tight. I plan to overlay with 10mm Marmox boards ( glued and screwed!), I wondered whether I should overlay the existing boards with ply first or will it be ok without?

Cheers,

Ian.

Hello and welcome!
Your floor should be rigid and no deflection, if there is any deflection I would definitely be tempted to check what is going on under the floor boards, in that case extra noggins will be required, would use WBP 18/22/25 mm ply over joists, and overlay with 6 mm hardibacker glued and screwed 300 centres, if your floorboards well fixed and secured, then you could glue on flexi ady 6 mm. hardibacker straight on to floor boards, but it's not ideal
good luck

R

Rich

If the floor boards are in good shape and you can get them totally deflection free then there shouldn't be any need to lay ply over the boards. If you wanted to go belts and braces, I would remove the floor boards, add some noggins to the joists. Then lay 18mm WBP ply over this and fix down at 200mm centers (the ply boards will need to be staggered and a 2-3mm gap left between each board) then over board with the Marmox.

This should give you a really good sound floor to tile onto :thumbsup:

R

Rich

Hello and welcome!
Your floor should be rigid and no deflection, if there is any deflection I would definitely be tempted to check what is going on under the floor boards, in that case extra noggins will be required, would use WBP 18/22/25 mm ply over joists, and overlay with 6 mm hardibacker glued and screwed 300 centres, if your floorboards well fixed and secured, then you could glue on flexi ady 6 mm. hardibacker straight on to floor boards, but it's not ideal
good luck

Beat me to the punch!

Great minds hey?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello all, new to forum, need advice with wetroom floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hello all, new to forum, need advice with wetroom floor.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.