UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello ALL! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

markyneeds

Hi there everyone. Im mark, bristol, 29, currently a golf professional who is heading for a dramatic career change into tiling. Out of all the trades i have looked at tiling seems to be the one i would most enjoy, i plan to do the city & guilds course at access training in Wales, i wondered if anyone here has recently trained there? i believe it takes 4 weeks for the city and guild. I have mates in various trades and am spending the week with one of them tiling amongst other things next week!

If anyone has any tips on what/where to go on completion of course that would be much appreciated, i.e set up on your own or try and get work with a tiler to gain experience.

Many thanks:smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome, don't be fooled by that qualification, it is basicly a piece of paper saying you have had basic training in what is involved in the world of tiling.

It will present you with an insight into what tiling is like and then you learn your craft over the coming years, so please don't be duped into thinking a short course will make you a tiler..

Stick around , the forums will teach you loads on tiling info.

T

Time's Ran Out

Mark - there is one thing for sure - you will enjoy it!
However as Dave said, it's just a basic introduction to Tiling and it often takes years to build up the contacts you'll need to provide a regular income and indeed there is a thread on the forum now from a 25 year experienced tiler who is looking for work.
It's not the best time to change careers but is there ever a good time.
Getting the practice is the main aim and if you can stay with your mate, earn some money and gently feed yourself into this trade, you may be busy enough to really enjoy it, because if you have no work - any job is poor!

A

Andrew Case

Hi and welcome

Ive just finished a course. Learnt loads and gained confidence. It depends on the training centre obviously.
Only take on what you know you can do well.

One thing i have learnt is think outside the box when it comes to finding work. Some people (not all) will be relying on a weekly paper ad and thats about it - no wonder they struggle for work.
Think of other ways and use your spare time to get your name out - dont wait for work to come to you.
Be realistic - theres nothing to say a short course cant start you in the right direction - but it is only a start

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello ALL! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Hi, Is there anyone out there looking for some free labour in the Oxfordshire area anytime...
Replies
Views
W
Hello everyone, first time poster here... I've very recently (2 weeks ago) started my own...
Replies
Views
A
Hi people! I left the Royal Marines 3 years ago and have somehow found myself in a very dull...
Replies
Views
M
I'm actually a plumber working in the private sector by trade. Bear with me. I'm already able to...
Replies
Views
Michael Greenwood
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.