Discuss Hello and help... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cev1981

Hi all!!

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I've been threatening to move into tiling for some years now as I've always enjoyed doing bits of tiling in my home. A few years ago I almost completed the 4 week course through STC in Warrington but I pulled out as I got worried about the money and time off work etc.

I've now finally decided to go ahead and make a move into getting some proper tiling training and working towards my qualifications and eventually making tiling my career. I looked through the internet and STC still looked about the best option to start the ball rolling but I've been informed the Warrington unit no longer exists... I then trawled through the internet to find a suitable alternative but unless I'm willing to travel about 300 mile at least, I cant find anyone who gives 4 week training - the most I can see is 4 days which just doesn't feel like it will give me what I need.

Am I barking up the right tree here or can anyone give me better advice than what I've researched so far.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice anyone can provide

Kev

T

TJ Smiler

Mate don't bother with a course, as i say to all people looking to get into it the best way is to find a college near you where you can learn in the evenings or one day a week or something that suits you then try and find a seasoned pro who will take you an as an apprentice. You will learn twice as much in one day with a time served tiler than you will in 4 weeks on a course. I spent two and a half grand of my hard earned money on my course 8 years ago and came out knowing sod all apart from how to cut a tile. There are hundreds of products, methods, situations, variations, patterns, tile types, substrates etc eyc to cram into a month.

You may find it difficult to find someone who will take you on in your area because one day you will become there competition so you might be a better looking for a tiler who is slightly out of your area and will teach you in exchange for labour at a very cheap rate.

2 and half grand..........Still annoys me when i think about it.

Good luck.......... ps this is my opinion only, others may disagree so chose what you thinks suits you and go with that.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello and help... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB