UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello! Electrician seeking some tiling advice! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richardlee

Hello.

I am an electrician seeking some tiling advise. I live in Deal in Kent and have recently bought a house. I am going to tile the bathroom, I stripped the old tiles off the wall which is old plaster, the house is 1930's, alot of plaster/render came off the wall below the bath height where I guess it has got damp over the years, so I have chopped it all off below this height but it is still on the wall above this and is nice and strong.

So at the moment, most of the walls are covered in old but strong render and plaster but where I have chopped the loose stuff off, I have bare brick. I am going to be fitting travertine tiles all over and wandered if you guys could recommend how best to prep the walls.
  1. I was thinking of using some sand and cement on the brick to render the surface level with the old plaster and then tile directly to this, would this be ok?
  2. There will be a pumped shower over the bath and was wandering if I should use cement board on this area or whether the original plastered surface will be ok for this.
The old rendering and plaster seems very strong and I'm confident it will hold the tiles, assuming that the surface is suitable.

Thanks for reading my first post!

Richard

R

richardlee

Cheers Dave.

As soon as I left work today I got on with removing the rest of the of the old render and stripped both walls back to the brick, filling up 8 rubble sacks in the process.

I have now got the two walls ready for dry lining, the two internal walls still have solid original render and plaster all over but I think that this hasnt suffered, possibly because they are internal.

Was thinking or using standard plasterboard in the 'dry' areas and cement board at the bath/shower area, what do you think?

Also, I will be tiling the floor with 8x8 travertine tiles, the floor is currently floorboards but to save on increasing the floor height and getting a more stable base I was thinking of removing the floorboards and laying plywood, do you think this is a good idea? Not sure what thickness of board to use - what would you recommend?

Cheers Dave.

Hi Richard, whilst the other walls are solid they will not support the weight of the trav tiles, you can / could either take these back to brick and overboard or just overboard. Using a cement board in the wet areas isn't a fail safe to water damage, water will pass through the boards without them breaking down, that's all. I would plasterboard the lot, tank the wet areas for piece of mind and enjoy the finished result, plus sleep tight.

R

richardlee

Thanks Alan.
I tried getting the original stuff off the internal walls but it really doesn't want to shift, the walls seem to be some sort of blockwork so maybe that is why (the original render may key to it better than brick. . .?). Dont want to make a total mess of the wall so still thinking of tiling to it but maybe I should just strip the lot off. I cant decide!

What would you recommend with regards to the floor?

Thanks mate.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello! Electrician seeking some tiling advice! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hello! Electrician seeking some tiling advice!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.