UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello folks! And a Novellini question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Taylortwocities

Hi there chaps and chapesses,

I am about to embark on a small ensuite revamp which will involve installing a linear shower tray. My plan is to use a Novellini preformed tray with Tilesafe membrane. The walls of the room are rather not so good so I'm planning to support the existing and then over line the two walls that will be the shower corners with Wedi 10mm board.

I'll be doing that myself as I'm a pretty competent DIYer and an electrician by trade (don't mark me down for that!). I'll be getting a pro in to do the tiling.

Two questions for you:
1. I had heard from someone that Novellini isn't that well regarded and there may be problems with it - any opinions?
2. Any comments re use of Tilesafe with Wedi board

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Because that Flexi Fix thing is useless. It isn't going to create a water tight anything. Even in the picture on that website it is showing it being fixed to plaster. This means when the water soaks through to the plaster, and then runs down within the plaster (as we all know it does) it'll just go past the Flexi Fix and still damage the substrate and wouldn't have done a single thing to prevent anything.

A poor product even for DIYers.

You need to create a waterproof layer between the tiles and the substrate if the substrate is water sensitive as grout and adhesive is NOT water proof. It will allow water to pass through it still. So the flexi fix thing there will stop the bottom 2 inches of water getting to the back of the tile but not the other 7' above it.

T

Taylortwocities

OK, Thanks for your input. Rather than head off down a Flexi Fix cul-de-sac. I need to make some firm decisions.

As nobody has said "Novellini is rubbish" I can assume its OK - its only a composite tray so what could go wrong:wacky:

Wedi board seems to be a well regarded method of providing a water-resistance background to tile directly to. Yes?

Novellini recommend using Tilesafe as the way of providing a water impervious barrier to the floor and up the wall to go under the tiles and apparently is very sticky.

Are there any problems in this plan assuming everything is installed to the manufacturers instructions? Don't want to spend a thou on the shower tray etc only to find it is no good.

Thanks again for your input.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello folks! And a Novellini question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Please see rough sketch. My ensuite is 2x2 m with the door opening into the left into the room...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all. I am a keen DIYer (at home) but have never tiled! I want to tile our small...
Replies
Views
Good evening to all. I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind...
Replies
Views
R
Hello. I'm just about to tile my ensuite. 3 of the walls are old so I've taken them back to...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.