Discuss Hello from SCCB Tiling Department in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SCCB

[QUOIE=Stef;744548]Welcome along to the Forum.
I thought that you might know Deano,
As long as he never taught you anything tiling wise then you will be ok.
Saw Deanos tiling when we were down at Rays place. [

Yea I know Dean from days of old when I was on my YTS, thank fully I have forgotten anythink and every thing the he ever said.. lol only joking Dean. I'm sure there is still a thing or two you could show me.. maybe..

T

The D

[QUOIE=Stef;744548]Welcome along to the Forum.
I thought that you might know Deano,
As long as he never taught you anything tiling wise then you will be ok.
Saw Deanos tiling when we were down at Rays place. [

Yea I know Dean from days of old when I was on my YTS, thank fully I have forgotten anythink and every thing the he ever said.. lol only joking Dean. I'm sure there is still a thing or two you could show me.. maybe..
i doubt that very much m8 :smilewinkgrin:

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hello everyone, my name is Carl Goulden and I'm one of 3 tiling lecturers at South and City College Birmingham. We offer a wide range of tiling courses and apprenticeships to meet the need of the tiling industry.
Please feel free to ask questions, as I'm eager to get involved with the forum and its users.

I'm new to the forum so please bare with me when replying to posts.

Thanks Carl.
ok got a floor to lay substrate old wharhouse floor used to be train repair yard exsiting floor concarete with sceed have to raise by 300mm to finnish level have three days to complete 130 2m tiles are porcs 200x200x20mm in 5 days after finnish you have to be albal to drive a 2 ton fork lift carry a ton over it how would you do it ?the floor is still there 14 years later no exspansion joints and no broken tiles or any sign of cracking so what would you do today

S

SCCB

so Carl how would somebody go about getting an apprentice and what sort of funding is available ??

In a nutshell South and City College Birmingham can offer afully funded service to:

• Advertise and recruit Apprentices for a cross range of positions for the organisation. This may include Wall and Floor Tiling, Other Trade Occupations, Maintenance Operations, Construction Management and Building Services. We have a huge pool of talent in the College and we also advertise nationally using a variety of effective sources. This service is fully funded.
  • We have an effective selection process, which means we screen and interview applicants to ensure that we are presenting the most suitable candidates to you for interview. This service is fully funded.
  • Once you choose who you want to employ you offer the individual a trial. If you and the individual are happy after this trail period you take them on as an Apprentice. The training package starts straight away for either 1 or 2 years, depending on the job role and the Apprenticeship programme. This training package is funded.
  • Grants are available including £1500 per person if you've haven't had Apprentices within the last 12 months. An organisation can claim this for the first 'batch' of Apprentices up to 10 Apprentices. Additional grants can be claimed (depending on company factors) up to £6000 The Apprenticeship wage for a 16-18 year old is £2.68 per hour, but companies often pay bit more than this. If an Apprentice is 19 yrs or above companies pay around £3-£4 per hour for the first year. The pay rate very much depends on the job. An Apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week.

I hope this answers your question. If not, then ask again.. Thanks

S

SCCB

ok got a floor to lay substrate old wharhouse floor used to be train repair yard exsiting floor concarete with sceed have to raise by 300mm to finnish level have three days to complete 130 2m tiles are porcs 200x200x20mm in 5 days after finnish you have to be albal to drive a 2 ton fork lift carry a ton over it how would you do it ?the floor is still there 14 years later no exspansion joints and no broken tiles or any sign of cracking so what would you do today

Appoliges, I have just seen this post.
Q Is 300mm the correct depth?

S

Spud

In a nutshell South and City College Birmingham can offer afully funded service to:

• Advertise and recruit Apprentices for a cross range of positions for the organisation. This may include Wall and Floor Tiling, Other Trade Occupations, Maintenance Operations, Construction Management and Building Services. We have a huge pool of talent in the College and we also advertise nationally using a variety of effective sources. This service is fully funded.
  • We have an effective selection process, which means we screen and interview applicants to ensure that we are presenting the most suitable candidates to you for interview. This service is fully funded.
  • Once you choose who you want to employ you offer the individual a trial. If you and the individual are happy after this trail period you take them on as an Apprentice. The training package starts straight away for either 1 or 2 years, depending on the job role and the Apprenticeship programme. This training package is funded.
  • Grants are available including £1500 per person if you've haven't had Apprentices within the last 12 months. An organisation can claim this for the first 'batch' of Apprentices up to 10 Apprentices. Additional grants can be claimed (depending on company factors) up to £6000 The Apprenticeship wage for a 16-18 year old is £2.68 per hour, but companies often pay bit more than this. If an Apprentice is 19 yrs or above companies pay around £3-£4 per hour for the first year. The pay rate very much depends on the job. An Apprentice must work a minimum of 30 hours per week.

I hope this answers your question. If not, then ask again.. Thanks
funding isn't available for apprentices on the diploma course it is only available if they are on the nvq course my lad missed out on his funding as he was on the diploma course

S

SCCB

funding isn't available for apprentices on the diploma course it is only available if they are on the nvq course my lad missed out on his funding as he was on the diploma course

People do gain level 2 diploma in wall and floor tilinggo through direct entry to Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship and gain employmentas Apprentices. 16-24 is the age thegovernment tend to fund, so best cram in all you can before turning 25.

S

Spud

People do gain level 2 diploma in wall and floor tilinggo through direct entry to Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship and gain employmentas Apprentices. 16-24 is the age thegovernment tend to fund, so best cram in all you can before turning 25.
yes but as an employer taking on a new trainee funding isn't available as you can't be placed on an nvq course unless you have tiling experience so are automatically put on a diploma course and therefore not eligible for funding until year 2 when you Are put on the nvq course a 16 or 17 year old is entitled to free tuition under current rules so even this isn't direct funding as they have to attend college until 18

S

SCCB

yes but as an employer taking on a new trainee funding isn't available as you can't be placed on an nvq course unless you have tiling experience so are automatically put on a diploma course and therefore not eligible for funding until year 2 when you Are put on the nvq course a 16 or 17 year old is entitled to free tuition under current rules so even this isn't direct funding as they have to attend college until 18

Ok, now I'm confused, I might be worth you giving our college funding guru a ring, she deals with this on a daily basis with awarding bodies a employers. Not saying you don't know what your talking about but it would seem that someone has got their wires crossed. And I don't want to give any wrong information out..
Tracy (AKA The Oracle)
Tel 01216945066
mobile 07787004710

Reply to Hello from SCCB Tiling Department in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
S
We are now enrolling on tiling courses at SCCB, If you want to up-skill yourself or fancy kick...
Replies
Views
S
D
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and new to tiling. I've started college to do tiling...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
K
I bought it because I can't find Lithofin anywhere in my city (I'm in Edinburgh btw, if anyone...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB