UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss HELLO TILERS! Please hep do I need a decoupling membrane?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MISSTEE38

Hi everyone! Ive got on here as I am a non tiler, but we are currently about to put down 66sqm of bottcino marble flooring, we are nearing the end of a big renovation. Our builder has installed a 50mm screed over wet ufh. We put it down middle of Dec and have been using the heating as we are having to live in the building site. I have read on here that we should have had joints put in at doorways and where we have different temperature zones which they haven't done. I notice now that we do have hairline cracks on all door ways, but builder says its nothing to worry about. We are about to employ a recommended tiler from a Tile Choice shop, who has been tiling for 30yrs and he was going to lay tiles straight onto screed with a flexi adhesive. Is this going to be ok, as another tiler had asked if any of my other quotes were laying a d coup membrane, which they weren't. Now I am very worried we will have trouble if we don't put the membrane down, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

turn off the ufh

test the floor for moisture level with hygrometer to the data relating to the floor you have had laid

if ok to proceed then scrape off any debris and friable material.

sand the floor and vac up the dust

prime to consolodate the subtrate

use nicobond gypfix addy to lay ditra uncoupler

tile with your spf addy

clean and seal

grout and clean

seal

polish

leave 7 days then bring up ufh in 5 degree increments

put exp joints across door ways and bay up any large areas

M

MISSTEE38

Brilliant thank you very much for the good advice. I realise you can't comment on someonelses ability, but do you think i could get my tiler who has never laid tiles on uhf to do this, he has 30 yrs exp and comes highly rec from tile choice but he hadn;t heard about a decoupling membrane, if i purchase it will he be able to lay tiles as normal but on the membrane is there more to it or should i get someonelse with experience?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to HELLO TILERS! Please hep do I need a decoupling membrane?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi I am posting in the hope that someone may be willing to offer me some advice about floor...
Replies
Views
Hi Looking for advice for decoupling membrane. I have around 60m2 to tile with 20mm limestone...
Replies
Views
After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
Hello we are currently trying to choose a tile to lay on the ground floor (70m2) of our house...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.