Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Hello - Very New with a sob story :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Graham Bright

Hi people. Hope you are all ok.

Thought I would come and introduce myself and explain why I am here. I know a lot of you are probably going to think I am mad.

I have been working in IT sales for a long time (15 years or more). I have spent a life working for IT firms and living by my sales results. I have been comuting in and and out of London for years. The job is high pressure and it has finally taken its toll on me. I no longer want to be part of the rat race. :hurray:

I have spent a lot of time on site in one way or another over the years, most of my family are in a trade of some sort. After serious consideration about what I want to do with my life I have decided I want to be a tiler.

Now I am in a bit of a difficult position because I have a family a house to run like everyone else. I cant just go and do an aprenticeship, or take days off for college etc I cant afford to take a massive drop in income, I just need to cover the bills.

So this is my plan. I am going to work with people evenings and weekends where ever possible. I already have a small group of plumbers and bathroom fitters that are going to help get me started and teach me.

I am going to do a qualification where I can do my course work from home and my onsite assesment stuff witht he people I work with.

I need to experience as many different senarios as possible and get as much experience as I can as quick as possible. I am willing to work for anyone for free on a Saturday or evening just to learn and get the knowledge. I can get the qualification in 9 months but as you all know it is the standard of work that is important and the speed.

Once I am up to scratch I will by the Van and the tools and off I go. I already have people that will give me work when I am up to a good enought level.

I want to be my own boss in the end, and have a much less stressful life. I have been told by the doctor that if I dont do something less stressful ill end up with a dodgy ticker soon :thumbsdown:

Plus its taken me 15 years to realise I am not really a white collar type.

Your thoughts would be nice, how ever abusive :smilewinkgrin:

D

Deleted member 9966

Cheers Jimbob. Totally agree.

I forgot to say. I live in Milton Keynes. So if anyone wants some FREE help in exchange for some experience and knowledge. Just let me know.

:ban:Hope advertising myself is ok :thumbsup:

advertising yourself on here for free is fine Viaticus :lol:

It's good to see that you're prepared to gain the experience before going it alone. There are too many cowboys in this industry, so it is highly recommended that you build your experience and confidence as you're starting out.

and :welcome: to the best tiling forum in the world. You will learn a lot here :thumbsup:

G

Graham Bright

welcome to the forum, a course will tell you straight away if it's for you or not, but be warned, being self employed, trying to pay bills when theres no/little work about is stressful! I notice a lot of regulars posting during the day today!!!
good luck to you, there will always be someone here to help you along if thats the path you take.

Thanks and thats good advice and of course I am considering these things when making such a big decision.

Cheeers mate

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
At pain of sounding like I am blowing my own trumpet I changed career path about 15 years ago - I was an Industrial Chemist then and moved into construction materials supply at the time selling readymixed concrete. I am now Technical and Specifications Manager for the worlds largest construction materials supplier. I have been lucky but at the same time I have worked hard but I do remember talking to my Mrs about it at the time and saying many many times "we have a mortgage, a child and plenty of bills so am I doing the right thing". In all honesty I still don't know cos I have no idea what would have happened if I had not changed direction. I can say that I have never looked back and like to think I am well respected in my particular field.

I respect anyone who has the guts and determination to do something about a situation that they realise is not right for them. Working for yourself may not make you any richer, it may not make you any happier, it may not make you any less stressed but at least if you are your own boss all of these things are in your hands.

I wish you every success.

Reply to Hello - Very New with a sob story :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
Hi been a lurker for a while. I buy property and renovate to sell or rent. I do most of this...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, My names Fraser I have been in the motor trade for 17 years, after falling out...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hello - Very New with a sob story :)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.