UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dustyUSA

Hello everyone.

I'm over from the Stone Repair Network.

I have a customer who has the issue in the pics. I believed it to be that the weep holes were clogged and causing a backup. The homeowner had a plumber clear the drain, but he could not see the weep holes at all.

Here is the Homeowners email after:

I did have our plumber come in last week, explained things to him, and he cleaned the drain out. That said, he said the way the shower drain is installed (and I didn't have the sense that it was installed incorrectly), he cannot get to the weep holes, nor see them. So the buildup in the drain is cleared out, but the weep holes were not things he could get to.
This would suggest that either (1) my plumber didn't do what he should have done, or (2) it can't be done without tearing the shower apart, which would also mean that after the shower were put back together, the weep holes would just get clogged again. I suppose it's also possible that it means, because the weep holes are inaccessible, that the weep holes are not the problem? In any case, if we now have the cement-like build-up removed, it will look good, but it might just be a cosmetic fix, and eventually come back.
I'd love your thoughts!

I figure you all would be the ones to ask as it's perplexing me.

Thank You,

Dusty USA

Attachments

• master shower floor.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 36
  • mastrshower flr.1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 31
  • mastrshowerflr.2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 30
D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome...could it be effervescence.

Fiz fiz fiz... oops that dissoluble tablets.. :lol:

I think you mean Efflorescence Mark..

Hi Dusty, you managed ok then to register, great to have you here..

This drain set up isn't something we do in the uk.. weep hole are not something i use and have not seen them used... We do have a few USA tilers on board and maybe they can help with the weep hole situation..

I take it the sub-base is screed/mud deck..?

Thanks for the welcome.
The ball is in the homeowner's court now. I told them that I would do the service for the slate's surface and see if it's "just a one off", and see if it's just "people grease" creating the darkened halo from the drain.

Dave it's just a guess, and the homeowner has no idea, but I assume that it's mud given the mineral rise

This is a good example for the pro waterproof membrane on top of the screed. Its definitely efflorescence. Thats why they have weep holes at the base of the waste to let out all the water that builds up in the mud base which is on top of the waterproofing. If they get clogged up , which they will, then you have this problem.
Mineral deposits from the mud bed will build up and clog up the weep holes. This can be avoided when the mud bed is tanked and the tiles are adherred to the tanking material. No watersoaked mud bed =no mineral deposits = no efflorescence = no problems = Happy customer:thumbsup:
Oh and by the way..welcome :welcome:

Last edited:
D

dustyUSA

This is a good example for the pro waterproof membrane on top of the screed. Its definitely efflorescence. Thats why they have weep holes at the base of the waste to let out all the water that builds up in the mud base which is on top of the waterproofing. If they get clogged up , which they will, then you have this problem.
Mineral deposits from the mud bed will build up and clog up the weep holes. This can be avoided when the mud bed is tanked and the tiles are adherred to the tanking material. No watersoaked mud bed =no mineral deposits = no efflorescence = no problems = Happy customer:thumbsup:
Oh and by the way..welcome :welcome:

Thanks Bobby,

Yeh we pretty much figured it was eff. that's why I told her to get the plumber to clean out the drain so he could see the weepers. There was so much scale in the drain I wasn't going to sit there and scrape when he could take care of it quickly. I guess I've just never heard of not being able to see nor get to the weepers as the plumber stated. I figured at any rate he could use a scope and camera.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have installed a wetroom form (the style below). I have removed the floorboards and lowered...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hello
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.