Discuss Help and advice on tiling bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

V

vvvvw

Hi
I am ready to tile my bathroom floor its about 5m2 max and at the moment its stripped to the joists fo plumbing.What would be the correct way to go.I cannot feel any deflection if there is its minimum.There seem to be so many different oipinions of what one should do_One independent tile retailer said always lay ditra matt wether installing UFH or not.Thought that only help lateral defection and not vertical.Some people say 18 - 20 mm ply others say moisture resistant chipboard flooring others say 18mm ply with 6mm backer board.
Please can anybody out there clarify.All i am after is a tiled floor possibly with UFH but a floor that has a reasonible chance of not failing in 6 months time.

Many thanks :yes:

Martyn

S

StephenR

I tiled over ply (either 18mm over joists or 12mm over floorboards) no problem for 10 years and then just last year, I had my first ever call back. The tiles had cracked along each joint after only 6 months. This was not due to flex. Thank goodness they were cheap. I've also never taken up one of my floors. What a pain that was.

Anyway, the cracks were caused by shinkage in the ply pulling the tiles apart. The ply must have been stored poorly at some point and got damp as the gaps I found were larger than those I would have laid the boards with.

The risk at being at the mercy of something like poor storage means now, only over tile backer board or ditra for floors from now on.

I tiled over ply (either 18mm over joists or 12mm over floorboards) no problem for 10 years and then just last year, I had my first ever call back. The tiles had cracked along each joint after only 6 months. This was not due to flex. Thank goodness they were cheap. I've also never taken up one of my floors. What a pain that was.

Anyway, the cracks were caused by shinkage in the ply pulling the tiles apart. The ply must have been stored poorly at some point and got damp as the gaps I found were larger than those I would have laid the boards with.

The risk at being at the mercy of something like poor storage means now, only over tile backer board or ditra for floors from now on.

And there it is, as you say, never had a problem, and a lot of us have been doing so for years as well, advances in the trade have shown / taught us that it is wrong to tile direct to ply, yes we might get away with it 99 / 100 but does it make it right ?

R

Rookery

If I'm reading this right, you're back to the joists having removed the original floor covering? If thats the case, then 18mm ply on its own with or without extra noggins does not meet BS guidelines and would not be guaranteed by most adhesive manufacturers. 18mm ply should be used as an overlay ie on top of the existing floorboards. In practice I prefer not to add timber to timber so I overboard a sound floor with 6mm Hardie glued and screwed. I believe that even this method is below what BAL for example would recommend, they would say 10mm. In your situation I would suggest either new t & g chipboard plus Hardie overlay or perhaps 25mm WBP ply. As you can see from the replies, different people do it different ways.

If I'm reading this right, you're back to the joists having removed the original floor covering? If thats the case, then 18mm ply on its own with or without extra noggins does not meet BS guidelines and would not be guaranteed by most adhesive manufacturers. 18mm ply should be used as an overlay ie on top of the existing floorboards. In practice I prefer not to add timber to timber so I overboard a sound floor with 6mm Hardie glued and screwed. I believe that even this method is below what BAL for example would recommend, they would say 10mm. In your situation I would suggest either new t & g chipboard plus Hardie overlay or perhaps 25mm WBP ply. As you can see from the replies, different people do it different ways.

I just had a quick skim through my copy of BS, couldn't see it, can you give me the numbers.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help and advice on tiling bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello! Please I need your help. I'm living in a 3yo department on a 5th floor (the entire...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB