Discuss help, bathroom floor, floating T&G in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dilz000

Morning all! As most of you know im not full time and still in the starting up phase of mostly family and friends... I've just been to my Nanna's house as she wants the bathroom and hall way floor tiling as the lino has been chewed by the dog! lol.

Now my Nanna lives on her own as my Grandad passed away last year and just before so he had to replace the toilet and in doing so he had trouble with the concrete drain underneith. Im not quite sure what, but for this reason my Nanna is very funny about me pulling it out, plus its the only toilet she has.

However if it was to stay in, i'd have to work/cut around a toilet, a sink and a bedet.

Now the second problem, its T&G board suspended floor, its a ground floor, but a bungalow, its sturdy as hell, im 13stone, and jumping on it its not flexing. So i was thinking I could overboard with 6mm cement board and tile that, or use a decoupling membrain for the first time. Do either of these routes sound ok? overboarding with ply will make a large transition that she doesnt want.

And in doing this would you say that cutting around all the obstacles is ok, or would you recommend taking them up, i know ill get a better finish if i take everything up.

Chris

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Hi Chris,

I would advise that the floorboards be taken up and replaced with min 18mm plywood screwed at 200mm centres and primed on the underside and edges, because, floorboards are too volatile a surface due to absorbing moisture from underneath and they will always be expanding and contracting, which would crack the cement board. Once you have fitted the ply, you can tile onto that directly. Whether it needs priming on the surface, is down to the adhesive manufacturers' requirements. Unfortunately that does mean that all the pedestals have to come out, but you could always do the area around the toilet first so that the toilet can be put straight back in. I would always try and get the sanitaryware on top of the tiles if possible, but you need to make sure that the pipework can cope with the extra height. If you are fixing stone tiles, you will need ditra or dural (or equivalent)matting over the ply too.

Where floorboards are concerned, It's never an easy option.:thumbsup:

D

dilz000

bloody customers/family hey!! haha. I think i will give her a couple of options and let her decide, but im going to advice that cost wise, replacing the lino is the easiest option. I have recently done a simular job, removed everything and replaced with 18mm WBP and then cement board to tile too. but money wasnt a problem on that job, where to a single pensioner it is. Here is the substraite anyway guys

photo.jpg

I think she will turn her nose up at pulling up the floor, especially as theres not exactly anything up with it either lol. Sometimes the perfect methord and real world clash, I found this on a previous job that I quoted, they decided that I was to expensive because I wanted to do the job properly.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to help, bathroom floor, floating T&G in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi guys - I’ve joined this forum because I’m planning on attempting to tile my new build...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB