Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Help, best way to get grout off slate...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmmadman

I have laid my 18m sq natural slate patio, cleaned it and sealed it once, using Fila products.

I started grouting using BAL grout and a motar cartridge gun (which makes the job so easy and less messy)

I have had real problems cleaning the grout off the slate, its was very hot so the grout was drying fast but I was only doing small areas at a time. It took me ages to get all the residue off the slate. I was using a sponge and a scouring pad and changing the water often.

I was quite concusous about getting to much water on the tiles and washing the grout out of the joints, is this where I was going wrong, should I of used more water.

Anyway I still have 75% left to do and have already used 10kg of grout.....!!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.............

Many thanks...:smilewinkgrin:

U

user123

Thanks for the quick reply
Excuse my ignorance but what is a washboy and where do I get one from, are they legal....lol......?????

Brilliant, you are so right, this could sound VERY strange!! :lol: A washboy is basically a rectangular bucket on wheels with rollers on top, filled half or so with water and a sieve type shelf inside. The rollers help squeeze out the excess water from the sponge, the sieve type insert helps the grout settle below so you have cleaner water to work with. Sorry just on my netbook right now, otherwise I could post an image! It just speeds up the grout cleaning, so is really useful.Are you using the groutfloat edge to clean the thick of the grout off quickly? If not, do, that should come before the sponge...thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Richard Edwards

You don't actually need to buy a washboy and special sponges.

Simple solutions are best

Choose a cooler day - Slate being black / dark sucks up heat / solar gain quickly.
Grout with a grout float or your gun and a hand sponge.
Do small areas at time - 1 metre square to start with.
Allow the grout a few mins to start to set and start with wet / damp sponge in clean water. Change the water frequently - ie very often, and have several buckets - a dirty water bucket, an intermediate and clean.
Do another area and then whilst its setting - go back to the first and rewash it
Take extra care with riven slate to get every last bit out of the riven edges
After the jobs done, consider using an acid based grout film remover before resealing
:thumbsup:

M

mmmadman

Many thanks for the replies so far......

My slate is mostly all riven, that's why its taking so chuffing long.............!!!!!

Good point about small area at a time, I think that, the heat, lack of water and inexperiance all added up............

The area I have finished and cleaned thoroughly does look very spendid indeed even if I do say so myself................bloomin hard work though...!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Attachments

• p_gsr.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 27

Reply to Help, best way to get grout off slate...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help, best way to get grout off slate...?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.