Discuss Help! Ceramic floor tiles won't stick to hardboard in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I'm trying to make a cheap diy "hearth" for my open fire as money is scarce! I thought I'd use hardboard as a base, thinking it didn't need to be too thick as no-one would be walking on it. Bought a piece of hardboard (shiny both sides as that's all I could get) and then proceeded to use tile adhesive/grout - applied to the hardboard - then laid the tiles in place moving them as instructed to get a good grip. Then waited 4 hours as it said before attempting to grout them. But... much to my dismay they hadn't stuck!! : ( I've probably done something stupid, but can someone please help? Now I am left with hardboard and tiles covered with adhesive. If I try to scrape most of the adhesive off and try again will new adhesive work on top of the remains of the old? What can I do?

Struggling Artist

C

CBTC

I assume the tiles are ok, just all the hardboard stuck to the back of them - try soaking them to break down the hardbord and scrape it off. Sdepending on the type of tile adhesive that may be more difficult, but there arent too many so slow and careful scraping with an old wood chisel, old rasp should get them near enough evened off to use again. You are just aimng to remove any ridges, lumps etc not every trace. Then get a cement backer board as already suggested and start over. Good luck - dont panic!

U

Unregistered

The hardboard is now in the bin!! The tiles are cleaned off and I'm ready to try again (sigh)...
My sister has some 9mm MDF she can give me - would this be ok to use?

just to clarify a bit more - it's a "temporary" hearth as I'm in a rented property - so it is literally a piece of board with tiles on placed on top of carpet in front of the fire!! The fire is a hole in the wall type so the hearth is below it on the floor, not in direct heat. It's really just to protect the carpet. It won't be getting wet - except for a wipe over with a damp cloth on the tiles. It won't be stood on and there will be a fender all round the edge of it.

What do you think?

Thanks!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help! Ceramic floor tiles won't stick to hardboard in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB