UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss help for apprenticeships in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rooders

Hello all... I was chatting to a plumber the other day about needing an apprentice, and also wanting to pass my "knowledge" haha... . on to someone else who can use it and build a career. I have felt for many years that university is not the option for everyone and someone like myself should have been given more options when leaving school. With the cost of tuition fees through the roof why are the government not pushing people to learn a trade? Trades were never practiced in school or mentioned as a good career option when was growing up. They should have been though as i was more a hands on person and only liked school for the p.e and social side! Any ways the plumber was telling me of a scheme where i think it was the government who pays you to take on a young apprentice who is a member of this scheme who is keen to learn. he was saying they basically pay you, to have them work with you... Does anyone know if there is any truth in this??? I hope there is! i feel that something like this needs to happen? i will do my research into this but thought someone may know something on here cheers everybody1 :8:

R

rooders

no idea rooders but its a great idea
definately need more apprenitices and is something that seems to be almost non existant nowadays

maybe try business gateway,or google governrmtn apprentice ship schemes?

i will definately be looking into all this Kilty. It seems an obvious path for some people... just thought i would ask on this site for any leads as my first point of call... thanks

T

tfs

they do a new deal scheme for the unemployed. The jobcentre pat them normal benefits plus a £10 allowance for up to three months and then you decide whether or not you want to emplo them. If you decide to employ them then you pay them a wage etc.

The other benefits etc for an employer are training grants and bonuses from the CITB but same again you need to pay the apprentice a wage etc.

I dont think there is anything that pays the apprentice and the employer, if there was then there would be no shortage of apprentices in the country. I would have take 10 on right away lol

P

Peter

Not sure about currently but I know when I served my time about 8 years ago, my boss got about 40 quid a week (and paid me 20 :lol:). Think the New Deal scheme still gives you something towards starting someone who's on the bru.

Think a first year apprentice is entitled to £2.50 an hour so about 20 quid a day. Not much incentive for a tiler who's not on super money as it is to be paying a young lad £100 a week to break tiles and slow him down :lol:. All tech's look for public liability cover these days too which puts many people off starting an apprentice.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to help for apprenticeships in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Just over a year ago I paid a tiler a lot of money to tile my kitchen floor. The tiles were...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Does anybody have any experience of taking on an apprentice? I wonder is it worth...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
help for apprenticeships
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.