Discuss Help for first time floor tiling please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

Evilc

Hi, this is my first post on this site so please forgive any silly thoughts.

I am gutting my kitchen and have purchased 15 sq m of porcelain semi glazed tiles 600x600 mm. I have read loads and discover that I need to put down a new subfloor and rip up the current old chipboard. My intention is to put down 25mm exterior grade plywood onto 400mm spaced joists and prime back and edges of plywood with APD, put in support noggins at unsupported edges and screw down with spax screws every 300mm.
However I am confused about which of the myriad of adhesives. I bought some weber.set SPF but now think this is probably wrong for such large tiles. I understand that the rapid set adhesives may be a little more flexible but as I am not an experienced tiler I am wary of being good enough to use it before going off.

Anyway, I would appreciate advise on 1) am I ok with my floor spec? 2) which adhesive ( preferably Bal) to use? 3) using levelling clips & wedges? Many thanks

D

DHTiling

The adhesive is fine , the slow set SPF from weber and the rapid set SPF are both equally flexible to C2-S1 ... but i am not a fan of tiling directly to ply and i would also use hardibacker 250 (6mm) for a more stable installation.. making sure th eply is deflection free and cross bonding the hardibacker to plywood joints and also using an alkaline resistant scrim tape for the hardibacker joints.

E

Evilc

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. Don't know what C2-S1 means I'm afraid.
It seems the more I read the more confused I get. There appears to be a camp where some people think it is quite ok to directly tile on to 25mm ply and others who advocate a backer board! I am certainly not dismissing your valuable advice but my problem being the overall floor level of 25mm ply + 6mm hardie + 10mm tiles + tile adhesive? In your view, is the hardie a recommendation or a must? And if I go directly onto the ply, is the adhesive still ok? I am not saying that I will ignore your advice, just to say that it will present me with a problem!
thanks again

S

steve187

here is some information on adhesive types, courtesy of another forum member .

Type C - Cementitious (Cement based Adhesives)
Type D - Dispersion (Ready mixed / Tubbed)
Type R - Resin (Epoxy)

Extra characteristics are described by the numbers and letters below

1 - Normal Adhesive
2 - Improved Adhesive
F - Fast Setting
T - Thixotropy (Reduced slip/ Slip Resistance)
E - Extended open time
G - Grout

S - Elasticity / Flexibility / Deformability
S1 = Deformable (Flexible)
S2 = Highly Deformable

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help for first time floor tiling please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB