Discuss Help I need your opinions please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Grouting was done on last day at job (Thursday) so would still have some residue etc on tiles. The wall/ plaster shows how wall was when I removed the original tiles. All loose plaster was removed, the wall then sbr'd & levelled using tiling render. No real discussions with customer as he is now refusing to speak & wouldn't let me back into house to either rectify problems or finish work

Just an honest opinion so please dont take offence ,why did you leave a job with grout residue? you wait until everything is dry and then polish it and the biggest problem i can see (not with your tiling)is you left the job without payment and making sure the client was happy,the job looks fine but if you have left thing unpolished it can look terrible.

S

Sanke

well from looking at the pic mate i dont think you would of had a small cut on either side of that wall unless im missing something and is the 40mm against the architrave visible? looks half that size must just be the angle... as long as those tiles are not dot n dabbed id say you have nothing to worry about unless you didnt prime then the tiles mite of fallen off while he was taking a dump maybe thats why he got rid haha
No all the walls were primed with sbr & given a good spread of adhesive Something gave him the hump though !

J

jonnyc

it would seem that one of his main issues is that he will have to redecorate the walls.
i cant see much problem with tiling although pictures do not show liping necessarily.
it looks as though your new finished tile height is lower than original therefore necessitaing redecorating.
could this be what he is unhappy about and the adhesive/bonding above finished tile height.
it will probably come down to what you have put in your quote or not.
if you have not specifically stated that he may need to redecorate walls if finished height lower than original as a result of not only making good walls before tiling or size of tiles chosen then he could interpret that you have not finished your works and he would be expecting you to make good.
it is actually not what i think he should be saying but it is an angle that he could put on you.
if you have not been very clear on what work you have quoted for and advised that by finishing at height you have done, there may be extra works required, i think you have left yourself a bit open.
this might cost you a little bit of money but may well save you a lot more in future.
if you can post your quote i think the answer will reveal itself.
dont give up on tiling.

S

Sanke

HI John Pictures do not show finished level, as above top tile was a row of glass mosaic tiles with metal trim So finished level was above original level However, in a few places tiling render would now be on top of metal trim (should have probably done something about it before mosaics etc put up) I had agreed with the original price to paint the walls & ceiling etc above so that would have been sorted one way or another at that stage Thanks for your encouragement to keep on tiling

J

jonnyc

HI John Pictures so not show finished level as above top tile was a row of glass mosaic tiles with metal trim so finished level was above original level However, in a few placed tiling render would now be on top of metal trim (should have probably done something about it before mosaics etc put up) I had agreed with the original price to paint the walls & ceiling etc above so that would have been sorted one way or another at that stage Thanks for your encouragement to keep on tiling
i think you really need to show what your work was like in a finished or semi finished state at point when client would not let you back in house.
without this it is very difficult to give a considered and helpful opinion.
this said if you have quoted to give a finished room then how can this client possibly condem your work before you have been given a chance to complete.
again it will all be down to what you have been in the quote.
boring stuff but ultimately we have to be thorough to be safe

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367270240.220899.jpg
The man wants advice of tradesmen no women ;)

Tricky one,
but with only half a story, and half the evidence, then we can only make half a judgment, I think!

Only a few optons i think,

Sounds like you're not in a position to negotiate with this bloke, but if you were able to, would the 2 days payment be enough to cover your materials? If it covers your costs, then the loss is just your labour. Move on, learn from it and don't get caught out again.

If it were me though, and if he's not willing to chat on the phone, I'd draft a letter with an offer to complete / rectify the work with an invoice for the work done so far. I'd hand deliver this letter. If there's no answer, I'd post it recorded to be signed for.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help I need your opinions please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently carried out work on tiling a fireplace for customer. I took my time and got the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB