Discuss Help - Lady in distress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fulabeer

At no point should copper pipes and cement come into contact.
As a very minimum, the pipes should have been covered/taped.
The above is to protect the pipes, and does not cover your other problem.

The problem with the cracking is due to heat expansion and/or a weak screed mix.
If i had to run copper below concrete/screed, i would run them through conduits.
I would leave enough room at each end to allow them to expand and contract.
However, i would use plastic (x-barrier) pipe if it was my choice.

Without seeing the work, and without knowing all the circumstances, i kind of get the impression you are being fobbed off.
They are trying to "band aid" a mistake, that will only be sorted by digging up the entire floor.
The pipes want re-running in conduit, or at very least covered/lagged. (this does allow a slight amount of movement)
My preference would be to swap the pipes for plastic (x-barrier) for the part that is below floor.
The floor should then be re-screeded.

Consider contacting your local building inspector.
Your council office should be able to give you his/her number.

S

Scott

The pipe should be wrapped in pipe wrap or hairfelt or similar when encased in a floor. I encase all pipes copper or other wise, the pipe can be grey or white for domestic. (The blue is incoming mains only)

If the heating is switched on when the back filling is still wet then it will shock it and crack and dry it too quickly. Not a great time of year to do it unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Barry bp

Cement corrodes copper over a period of time copper pipes must always be lagged when in screed the problem is no lagging which also allows for expantsion and the pipes are not laid deep enough in the screed .To do the job properly the pipes need to be relayed in a deeper channel and some form of lagging put round them ,just putting new bit of screed over pipes how ever strong will not work.Its a bigger job than they want to let on

Reply to Help - Lady in distress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help - Lady in distress
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.