UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help me correct a handful of errors of mine please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

So I am not sure I understand fully why the bottom of the wall had the kerdi tape in the first place.???
Was the wall getting kerdi also?
or was it just to provide a waterproofing at the bottom?

Because there is ditra matt on the floor and the kerdi tape was being used to prevent standing water getting into the wall. The old woden floor had been removed and there were holes in the wall where the joists had been, plus others for one reason or another at floor level. The areas that needed to be tanked were treated with Weber tanking kit - paint on. The main problem, hence the kerdi tape was only applied to the corners.

A

Alberta Stone

I would think that the kerdi tape could be cut flush with the tops of the installed floor tiles and the thinset and whatever be rasped back to rid the 6mm kick out problem and then you could paint on a liquid waterproofing like Mapei HPG on the lower wall to provide insurance against leakage, which, since it is merely a standard wall, is going to be minimal and even a proper silicone joint would be as effective as the kerdi to keep any occasional water from mopping or whatever from getting behind the tile or into the wall/floor.
If it was going to be a highly wet area then it would be critical, but it isn't, so it is a bit much, which posed an extra problem as a result.
You will certainly spot that kind of issue in the future before the floor tile are finished, that is for sure. ;)

A

Alberta Stone

I would think that the kerdi tape could be cut flush with the tops of the installed floor tiles and the thinset and whatever be rasped back to rid the 6mm kick out problem and then you could paint on a liquid waterproofing like Mapei HPG on the lower wall to provide insurance against leakage, which, since it is merely a standard wall, is going to be minimal and even a proper silicone joint would be as effective as the kerdi to keep any occasional water from mopping or whatever from getting behind the tile or into the wall/floor.
If it was going to be a highly wet area then it would be critical, but it isn't, so it is a bit much, which posed an extra problem as a result.
You will certainly spot that kind of issue in the future before the floor tile are finished, that is for sure. ;)

C

cornish_crofter

It's all done now, but that is something to think about.

The only problem with the silicone joints is that in this respect I didn't want them to be the only defence against ingress. The reason is because the condensation in the room when I was doing them was absolutely unbelievable. I was dabbing paper towel into the 2mm gaps I'd left to try and dry it out and if I then left it for more than a few minutes before applying the silicone, it just wouldn't take as the moisture from above and around had got back in there. Hence if there were small areas of the od couple ofmm or so where the silicone hadn't fully bonded then it shouldn't be an issue either asthetically or functionally.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help me correct a handful of errors of mine please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Help me correct a handful of errors of mine please?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.