UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help please, Where to start. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andy4k6

Hi,

Well I’m finally ready to start my first proper tiling job, after a trip to the tile shop I have this lot.

Image160.jpg

Adhesive for the wall tiles

Image163.jpg
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Floor adhesive (I have been told I can use this with my under floor heating and also on the wall should I run short of the other adhesive)

Image162.jpg

The wall tiles 10mm Porcelain

Image166.jpg

Now some photo's of my bathroom (I have now plastered over the undercoat since photos were taken and shower base will be fitted after tiling as it is designed to be)

DSCN3297.jpg

DSCN3298.jpg

DSCN3299.jpg

Now for my newbie questions,

1) I have taken all the easy to remove paint off however what is left is really stuck on, can I just score this or do I need to remove it all?

2) I have 10mm tiles and have bought some chrome window trims (homelux from b&q) 12.5mm I am assuming this is the correct size with adhesive?

3) Where do I start in the room? I am assuming it's best to have the tiles line up with the bottom of the window so I don't have any odd cuts around the window, However I am also assuming I can’t start half way up the wall?

4) Is hardboard ok to use for boxing in the pipe or will it not stick correctly?

5) If you could give one good tip for a complete novice doing this, what would it be?

Many thanks for your help, I feel I’m about to embark on a very steep learning curve but I have no option as I can't afford to pay a pro to do it.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

Whats in the tubs on the pallet? Primer? because the walls need if, if you are using a cement based addy. mix small batches 'cos it will go off faster than you think Extra Bond Adhesive - Tilemaster Adhesives Wall Floor tile Grout Adhesive :: tilemasteradhesive.co.uk

Mark your tiles off on a wooden staff, inc grout lines. Use this round your bathroom to see where every cut will fall

trim should be ok

make sure your walls are dead square for your shower. (read your other post did you ring the tech help line?)
Hardboard is a no no,
Overall tip would be to get a pro in but you say budget is against you. Will cost you a lot more if it goes wrong though. Best of luck anyway

A

Andy4k6

Hi faithhealer

The tubs on the pallet are litochrom starlike glitter grout (don't ask i wasn't given an option by the Mrs) Will i need a primer when going direct onto plaster?
If so what do you recommended and what does it cost?

I did ring the tech line and was told the room needs to be tiled first so thats what I'm doing now.

The wall is not very square where the end of the shower is however the walls that matter are straight. The only wall that isn't doesn't have any mountings to it. It will leave a small gap at the open end of the base which i will fill some way or another.

What would you recommend i use for bog my pipes in with?

I would love to pass the job over to a pro however with 28 sqm to do and having no spare cash at all it's not an option unfortunately. I assumed it would cost well in excess of £500 to have a pro out to do it.

Many thanks for your advise,

Andy

D

david campbell

Thanks for the advice,

How do i go about weighing my tile weight? The tiles are easy enough but how much do i need to add on for the adhesive and grout?

After reading all this I'm starting to think I'm in over my depth... Guess i have loads more research to do.

Many thanks again,

Andy

sometimes it's on the back or sides of the packs if not put a pack usually a m2 on a set of scales and add another 3/4 kg on,this will give you the weight per m2:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Thanks for the advice,

How do i go about weighing my tile weight? The tiles are easy enough but how much do i need to add on for the adhesive and grout?

After reading all this I'm starting to think I'm in over my depth... Guess i have loads more research to do.

Many thanks again,

Andy
Try this as a guide Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE

A

Andy4k6

Thanks for all the replys,

Going off that chart it looks like i'm going to be over weight.... I'm starting to think i'm well out of my depth here, Is there any chance i'll get this right or is it more likly to all fall off :oops:

Can anyone give me a ball park price for doing 28 sqm (inc floor and walls, floor tiles different) in my bathroom? I know it's a wild guess without seeing it properly but i'm tempted to dump it on the credit card now if i can afford it.

Many thanks

Andy

D

Deleted member 1779

I'm a big fan of people doing it for themselves.

But I'm a bigger fan of getting qualified tilers in to do work. You've spent plenty on materials so well done for thinking about getting help in.

We use Pro-tilers on all our jobs and they have always managed to save a lot of heartache.

To keep costs down I do all the prep work myself and I even help the tiler by fetching carrying and mucking in on site. But I do leave the work to them.

:yesnod:

A

Andy4k6

To keep costs down I do all the prep work myself and I even help the tiler by fetching carrying and mucking in on site. But I do leave the work to them.

:yesnod:

I'm happy to play fetch boy and help out wherever possible if that would make any difference, I'm fairly handy and I'm sure i could be of some help but i bet most tilers wouldn't want the owner helping out.

Andy

Reply to Help please, Where to start. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.