Discuss Help Pls: Another Bathroom Question for Old Hands! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stealth

I am not a tiler by trade just an enthusiastic diy'er.......anyway, I'm about to do some tiling (very slow and steady) in my bathroom and I could do with some ideas from the pro tilers on here with a problem I've got.

This is the situation. The bath (which was already in place) is boxed in at both ends. I''ve ripped all the tiles off aound the bath and what I am left with is a nice fit at the tap end but about an inch+ gap at the other end. This gap had previously been bridged with huge quantities of silicon and looked hideous. Now obviously I don't want to fit lovely new tiles and have acres of silicon on show - so the question is: How would you pro tilers tackle something like this? - bridging this sort of gap where the bath is not a good fit to the wall?

My initial thoughts were to dot and dab some plasterboard on that entire end wall to help fill the 1inch gap but the door is on the same side and in close proximity to the bath end. This would mean that by the time I had put the plasterboard up and tiled it, the finished tiles would be flush /overlapping the outer edge of the door frame and would look a bit odd!

The other option I thought about would be to fit some trim / edging tiles along the bath but I would prefer a nice clean look without any of this stuff.

Any ideas /tricks of the trade would be appreciated. cheers

S

Stealth

i know that this may make more work for you but if you plasterboard the end with the gap and tile as you say the edge will overlap the door arcitrave? is it possible to replace the arcitrave with new wider arcitrave.
chris

Your suggestion sparked an idea. Cheers.

My door architrave lines are quite linear. So I bought some planed wooden strips , chamferred one side and fixed them to the existing architrave, filled as neccessary and painted - looks good!

The architrave now has the necessary extra depth, ready to plough on.

Thanks to all those who made suggestions.

Incidentally, can't believe the amount of prep I'm having to do on this bathroom before I start tiling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help Pls: Another Bathroom Question for Old Hands! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB